Won’t go up hills / wheels don't turn but shutter

gunns

Threads
I have a Craftsman riding mower 917.270812 19.5 hp 42” 6 speed that I bought new in 1999. Yup 1999. I’ve changed power drive and mower belts and battery a couple of times and rebuilt the carb but other than that it’s been a workhorse. At 74 I’ve had it for about a third of my life but like me it’s showing it’s age! LOL!

When doing the yards last week it suddenly, without prior warning, refused to go up hill. The engine is running just great - plenty of power. The rear wheels on both sides weren’t turning but instead were just shuttering/vibrating back and forth. The drive belt looks fine. Thinking the belt may be slipping I sprayed it with belt dressing but it didn’t help. Other possibility could it be the belt has stretched or the clutch return spring has weakened? The other real possibility, and most likely one, would be the transaxle is tired out. I’ve checked the internet and a replacement runs between $400 &$500 with shipping. I won’t need this mower for more than a year. We’re moving and will leave the mower for the new owners. I considered a used one but it could break down during the first use. They’re priced at a little under half price of a new one. Any help is appreciated!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be a possibility that the shift keys parts number 792180 are worn and are jumping in the gears in the transaxle

gunns

Threads
Thanks for your replies.
I can be driving around on level ground and turn uphill and as soon as I turn uphill it starts. Both wheels are not spinning but kind of shuddering in a forward and then I reverse motion. This back-and-forth motion is roughly a half an inch either direction. Doesn’t seem to be a belt issue as there is no squealing sound. I originally suspected a belt issue so I took the belt off and measured it thinking maybe it had stretched. It measured out at 94 1/4 inch. The belt appeared to be in perfect shape. All of the pulleys function properly. It’s almost like the transaxle is popping in and out of gear repeatedly. On flat ground it seems fine. Would bad shift keys cause this?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stick to one thread!!! Posting in two threads will get very confusing.

gunns

Threads
Stick to one thread!!! Posting in two threads will get very confusing.
I understand and agree however I addressed the issue in the other thread because of the titled. I felt someone seeing it , 206-545c, would be more inclined to respond to it because it specifically addressed my transaxle. But you make a good point.

gunns

Threads
Well, bit the bullet and ordered a new 206-545C transaxle from Surplus Center today. I’ll start tearing things down while waiting for it’s arrival. Should be interesting.

gunns

Threads
  • / Won’t go up hills / wheels don't turn but shutter
Well, it’s up and running fine. Surplus Center was fast on the shipping. Couldn’t ask for better service. Won’t hesitate to use them again!