Export thread

Wider tire help

T

TheStripingLife

Was thinking of going from 24x9.5 to a 24x12 tire. I do have a 52" deck and not sure if there will be tire overhang. Anyone else put a 12" wide tire on their 52"?

577jersey

I always thought wider tires would be better on slopes but thats not the case for me with a RSD...the wider tires give me a better ride but its very slippy on slopes for some reason,I think a more narrow taller tire would act more like a cookie cutter and hold banks better,,I did cut grooves in all my treads with an angle grinder now it holds banks a bit better...also run 6 PSI in rears.

As for over hang pushing the grass down,,thats not a problem if u use hi lift blades they will almost suck the grass out of the ground...lol..I know they suck the moss out of the ground :)

Good luck!

Tom

T

TheStripingLife

the reason is for better response/traction and less rutting. Not mowing any slopes/hills

B

BoylermanCT

Wider tires will reduce the weight per sq inch on the tire, spreading the weight over a larger surface. This can be good to reduce turf damage during turns, but can be bad for holding power on hills.

Tom, how do you take a grinder to you tires without shredding them? Can you post a pic of the tire modification?

RhettWS

RhettWS

Tom, how do you take a grinder to you tires without shredding them? Can you post a pic of the tire modification?

I've never done this and I'm sure Tom will chime in. However, if you look up tire siping or tire sipe on YTube I suspect you will find lots of video. I've read about folks doing this to tires in an effort to add traction, etc.. If I really needed more traction I would go to a chevron tread or similar.

577jersey

Here is a video of the same thing I did to my tires,,works well.
You have to use a thin metal cut off wheel.