Export thread

Why you guys like Poinsettias?

L

landscaper

We do not have Poinsettias here in the Philippines, however a friend of mine received one from her boss when she was in Canada. I wonder why Poinsettias is a favorite plant of yours especially during December? :D

M

minkyung

Hi! I have a friend who went to Baguio City in Philippine. Many Koreans there, he said. But he told me about many poinsettias there. The leaves turn red during Christmas, correct? If so, then you have poinsettias in Philippine.

173abn

173abn

It's the red leaves and red for christmas.They 've also developed white,pink,mottled ,smooth leaved to crinkley leaves.Back when I worked in a greenhouse the owner had what he called mother plants and from these we took cuttings and applied root horomones and stuck them in wet sand to root.We produced a few thousand this way.I'm not a big fan of Poinsettias but a lot of folks buy them around Christmas and usually throw them away after the holidays.Theres a grower in California that supplies most of the country with them. russ

S

SeniorCitizen

I have wild Poinsettias in my flower beds and I like them because they are nearly drought proof, readily re-seed and grasshoppers act as if they are poison. In late summer I have counted as many as 9 different species of wasp and other insects feeding on their blooms.

N

noma

Hi 173 abn

There are poinsettias grown in Northwest Iowa to ,probably not as many that are grown in California , but they grow some in Iowa to about 5 acres i think there are some pretty good size greenhouses.:licking:

M

minkyung

Yes, they look beautiful, right? I got this picture from a Philippine site.

08-sagada-poinsettia.jpg

It's from this site: The Flowers of Sagada | sagada-igorot.com

The "Igorot" are natives, correct? Name of a tribe? No idea :confused2: But they grow poinsettia in the mountains. Interesting.

I wonder why leaves turn red. What happens there? Then why only in December?

173abn

173abn

Interesting SandbuRanch,does it get very cold in the winter where you live? minkyung,the plant needs a certain number of hours in the night before they start turning. russ

S

SeniorCitizen

Interesting SandbuRanch,does it get very cold in the winter where you live? . russ
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My wild Poinsettias aren't beautiful like the domesticated varieties but they're OK for the ranch. I'm about 140 miles west of Tulsa and -19ーF is the coldest I've seen in my short time on the earth surface.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The double dot i and 1/2 following the 19 are not a product of my doing. I think it has something to do with satelites and other countries trying to tell me how I should write.

adan

adan

The reason why Filipinos love Poinsettias is that it reminds us of Christmas. We celebrate the Christmas spirit here in the "ber" months, meaning September to December up to Easter Sunday on the first week of January. This is when most family reunions happen, lots of Christmas parties (school, office, neighborhood, clubs, etc.).

Besides, the gardens simply look good with red leaves blooming.

There's another tree where I live that changes colors seasonally. While poinsettias turn red in December, this one turns orange during summer, which is another good season for all, especially the students. We call this the Firetree.

Catch a glimpse of it here ...

2919706150028972814xBToEF_ph.jpg

The picture was taken from the campus of the University of the Philippines. This campus is a legacy of the Americans to our country.

P.S. Minkyung is absolutely correct about Koreans in Baguio City. There's a lot of them there.

L

landscaper

Hi! I have a friend who went to Baguio City in Philippine. Many Koreans there, he said. But he told me about many poinsettias there. The leaves turn red during Christmas, correct? If so, then you have poinsettias in Philippine.

Oh! sorry... Maybe I must say "we have no poinsettias here in Mindoro, or maybe we have one but not familiar with them... must ask my parents about it" :D yeah Baguio City has numerous variety of flowers..

And yeah! my friend got her Poinsettias during Christmas...