Export thread

Why the staggered wheel?

Parkmower

Parkmower

We have 5 2cyl lawn boy commercial push mowers at work and have always wondered what is the point to the staggered wheel? It is always a pain whenever we use them. Everyone I work with hates them and tries to get the job done with weed whips if possible. I understand the advantage of the 2 cyl seeing as we push mow alot of hills but the wheel is terrible.

Fireman 123

Fireman 123

I can't speak for the staggered wheel other than it's a design that dates back to the 40's or 50's so there must be something to it. If you and co workers can be convincing enough to replace the Lawn Boys they will fetch a good price to those that appreciate their value and craftsmanship. Too bad the EPA put the brakes on the manufacture of 2 cycle mowers, so be careful on those slopes with the 4 cycles, because in this economy a business owner can't afford to replace mowers every couple of years.

Parkmower

Parkmower

Yeah they're not going anywhere soon. Have prob 4 more new ones in boxes

E

earthworm

Yeah they're not going anywhere soon. Have prob 4 more new ones in boxes

As to the staggered wheels, I'd think that this must have been questioned a thousand times.
Its a "good" design feature that never worked out well.
On to swivel caster wheels in front, this I think is a good idea...I dreamed this up many years ago.
Another dream - one caster-ed swivel in front, powered large wheels in the rear and a 30" cut..
The staggered wheels may yield easier handling...I will try this as I own(and use) both(7229 and 10685)...

E

earthworm

As to the staggered wheels, I'd think that this must have been questioned a thousand times.
Its a "good" design feature that never worked out well.
On to swivel caster wheels in front, this I think is a good idea...I dreamed this up many years ago.
Another dream - one caster-ed swivel in front, powered large wheels in the rear and a 30" cut..
The staggered wheels may yield easier handling...I will try this as I own(and use) both(7229 and 10685)...
Right now, we need a mower that is effective in cutting wet, under water grass.
Maybe a mower that floats on water...
Or a mower for Texas that can cut burning grass....

B

benski

I think the staggered wheel was a design effort to get the grass as rapidly and efficiently out from the mower deck as possible. A nice, straight shot, so to speak.:wink:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I think the staggered wheel was a design effort to get the grass as rapidly and efficiently out from the mower deck as possible. A nice, straight shot, so to speak.:wink:

I think that's true -- it does seem to shoot the grass out faster.

Another advantage is that, on uneven terrain, the mower is less likely to scalp the grass.

The thing I don't like about staggered design is the small wheels on the front.

B

benski

I think that's true -- it does seem to shoot the grass out faster.

Another advantage is that, on uneven terrain, the mower is less likely to scalp the grass.

The thing I don't like about staggered design is the small wheels on the front.
Would a pair of large diameter, castering wheels in front of the deck be any advantage? :licking: Just a thought. I would try any possible idea out at least once.:smile:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Would a pair of large diameter, castering wheels in front of the deck be any advantage? :licking: Just a thought. I would try any possible idea out at least once.:smile:

You would have to build a custom mount to give the casters enough room to turn.

R

Rocket_boy

We have 5 2cyl lawn boy commercial push mowers at work and have always wondered what is the point to the staggered wheel? It is always a pain whenever we use them. Everyone I work with hates them and tries to get the job done with weed whips if possible. I understand the advantage of the 2 cyl seeing as we push mow alot of hills but the wheel is terrible.

I love the staggered wheel, really easy to get into tight quarters/corners without having to change direction of the whole mower, just change the angle slightly,....and that is why I believe it came into being. Now some people say that it tends to cut unevenly in a straight line, but I've never had that problem.

It is one of the design features of my 10323 that makes me never want to give it up (aside from the great Duraforce) and buy a new mower with four corner wheels,....that would make my job harder for sure.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I love the staggered wheel, really easy to get into tight quarters/corners without having to change direction of the whole mower, just change the angle slightly,....and that is why I believe it came into being. Now some people say that it tends to cut unevenly in a straight line, but I've never had that problem.

It is one of the design features of my 10323 that makes me never want to give it up (aside from the great Duraforce) and buy a new mower with four corner wheels,....that would make my job harder for sure.

Agree 100%, wife had an early 80's Lawn Boy and I thought the staggered wheel was a gimmick but got to love the trimming ability it offered.

Parkmower

Parkmower

Ever try mowing hills with them? No
Fun.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Ever try mowing hills with them? No
Fun.

No hills, only for trimming around house shrubs.