Why does Toro have a "California Model" of ZTR and others don't?

SoCalRedTractor

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Why does Toro have a "California Model" of ZTR and others don't?
Hello All,

Researching ZTR's, and realized that Toro shows 5 models listed as "California Model". I have not noticed that with other makers I've looked at (Ariens, Cub Cadet, Bad Boy). Any idea why? Is there really a requirement that makes a "California Model" necessary, and if so, why don't the others specify those models?

Thanks in advance!

Pick

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
As far as i know, most California deals have to do with emissions, usually the engines run leaner, and the carburetors are non adjustable or are very limited on how much you can adjust them..
Cause you might increase the temperature .5 of a degree.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Scrub is correct. California has different emissions standards which manufacturers must meet to sell equipment in their state. If you look at the ID tags on equipment sold in other states you will see “not for sale in California “ or “ does not meet California emissions standards “. As he stated changes are made to the carbs, mufflers, and timing.

SoCalRedTractor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys! Yeah, I know all about our emissions requirements here - what I don't understand is why Toro is the only maker to list the models available here. I guess I have to go to the large retail outlets to see what models are available.

Stay healthy!

Pick

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Several of the mower engine manufacturers list a 50 state compliant and a 49 state compliant engine

SoCalRedTractor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Several of the mower engine manufacturers list a 50 state compliant and a 49 state compliant engine
Okay. Where would I find that? And, again, why would 1 show a compliant model and not the other makers if it really is a thing?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Okay. Where would I find that? And, again, why would 1 show a compliant model and not the other makers if it really is a thing?
The locations that I have seen it was on the dealer engine or equipment price list. They will say California only or 50 state compliant.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
you could probably also contact the manufacturer and ask which models they have that are compliant with the EPA and CARB (california air resources board) restrictions.