White smoke and running rough at full throttle

Laneman

Threads
Craftsman LT2000 with single cylinder Briggs Intek 331877 engine. While mowing at full throttle it started smoking heavy white smoke and running very rough and surging, almost stalling. Throttled back to idle and it would run without smoking. Any ideas?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Craftsman LT2000 with single cylinder Briggs Intek 331877 engine. While mowing at full throttle it started smoking heavy white smoke and running very rough and surging, almost stalling. Throttled back to idle and it would run without smoking. Any ideas?
Possible blown head gasket.
Things to look for:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
blue-grey smoke - oil, black smoke - rich mixture, pure white smoke - water or antifreeze. Probably is was blue-grey smoke with an oil smell from a blown head gasket as suggested, but if it was pure white smoke you might have a little water in the fuel unless it is a water cooled engine. If so try adding a little fuel dryer to the tank.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Everything I can add has been discussed except, under higher load and greater air flow, a wet air filter or air box might then add water to the combustion. I do put my money on blown head gasket.

Laneman

Threads
I think I found it. I read that sometimes the carb float or needle sticks and drains fuel into the oil. I had just filled gas tank, and now it is almost empty. Dipstick smells like gas. I will check float and needle, change oil, and try again.