Export thread

Whining coming from underneath

B

bmark0610

Hi everyone I have a LT1000 I believe it is with a 21.5hp B&S motor. It was bought back in 2005 or so (I could be totally wrong) gold in color. Anyway there is a whining noise coming from the back and the heavier the load, the louder it gets. Any way I can remedy this?

I had a gold LT3500 that I bought new in 2008.

Do you have any leaks at the rear axle seals ? Mine did right after warranty (naturally) it had a POS Dana made in china transaxle. The whining sound I experienced was due to low on gear lube. I was able from time to time remove the battery & drive pulley & the transaxle had a rubber fill plug. But only held 10 oz of gear lube. So didn't take much to be low. I would add s few ozs' of the thickest gear oil I could find. (temporary solution).

I later transplanted in a Husqvarna transaxle & it was good. Mine was a 6 speed tho, not sure about yours ?

The owners manual (if you have it) will list the transaxle type in it.. if not you can go to www.SearsPartsDirect.com , it will allow you to type in your model # & it'll show you schematics of every part in your mower

B

bmark0610

There are no leaks in the seals or anything. Mine is an automatic transmission (The slider on the right hand side)

I had a gold LT3500 that I bought new in 2008.

Do you have any leaks at the rear axle seals ? Mine did right after warranty (naturally) it had a POS Dana made in china transaxle. The whining sound I experienced was due to low on gear lube. I was able from time to time remove the battery & drive pulley & the transaxle had a rubber fill plug. But only held 10 oz of gear lube. So didn't take much to be low. I would add s few ozs' of the thickest gear oil I could find. (temporary solution).

I later transplanted in a Husqvarna transaxle & it was good. Mine was a 6 speed tho, not sure about yours ?

The owners manual (if you have it) will list the transaxle type in it.. if not you can go to www.SearsPartsDirect.com , it will allow you to type in your model # & it'll show you schematics of every part in your mower

Sorry I can't help ya on the auto trans. Hopefully someone else will jump in here.

I

ILENGINE

Any lose of power when the whining occurs. May need to check the oil level which is a pain but could be low. About the only way to properly check the oil is to drain all the oil out, and then put back in the recommended amount. The oil level should be about 3-4 inches from the top of the tranny if hydrogear, but could be different if it has the tuff torq.

Metallic whine usually indicates pending failure. If you push the lever real fast in the forward direction you will get a chirpy type whine. That is normal. the low more metallic whine is not normal.