Which is the hardest, planting or maintenance?

touree

Threads
A good and beautiful lawn is everyone's dream. How many times do you marvel at a well-maintained lawn? Again, do you ever stop to imagine the kind of effort that will have been put in?

A friend of mine argues that the hard part is in planting a particular species of grass whereas my thought is maintaining what is already planted is the hard part.

Which is which?

brucesdeere

Threads
I think maintaining is harder because if you get lazy with the maintenance then your beautiful lawn doesn't look so amazing anymore. That is just my opinion though.

touree

Threads
Opinions will most definitely vary, which is a good idea because no one ever has a monopoly of ideas. I tend to think with the right amount of effort none of the two can prove difficult or tasking.

Manny

Threads
I do love looking at a nice yard. Planting or sodding, whatever it is, that is the hardest! Oh, there are times when there is a little extra work needed, like hedging and trimming, etc, but maintenance is the easiest! I can kick back and just ride!

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm of the opinion that it depends on where you live. The further south you go the more weeds you will have and for a longer period. Also with climate change bringing more unpredictable weather in the form of droughts and flooding makes seeding, reseeding and, and overseeding really difficult. Watering restrictions can really make it tough to maintain a lawn. We are currently in our 9th week with absolutely no rain and temeratures are still in the high 80's. The lawn really takes a beating, so need a you hardy grass to survive the drought and then the winter.

mois25

Threads
With that kind of weather Robert, then watering restrictions will even worsen the situation. Interesting that the geographical location, in terms of weeds and all is also a factor.