Which engine for a super recycler?

spazatac

Threads
Its seemed like the consensus is honda.. But the honda is the entry level GCV with aluminum block versus a cast iron sleeve the GSV , toro and briggs have I believe..

How is it that the honda comes highly rated, when on paper the toro and briggs look better?

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Super Recycler comes with either a Briggs or Loncin engine. The Recycler can come with Honda engines on one model.

cruzenmike

Threads
The primary issue with the Super Recycler line is that with each engine choice you are offered specific options not available on other models. For example you only get electric start on the Briggs 8.75 and you do not get blade stop on the Honda. Then there is the base model which has a Toro branded engine. There is also a smaller Briggs engine that has the SmartStow feature for space saving.

The Honda is somewhat underpowered compared to the other engines available, but it will run clean, be efficient and if used properly will still perform well. I am a HUGE Honda fan so if not a Honda mower, I say get something else with a Honda engine in it.

Beamster

Threads
I just researched that and if you originally have blade clutch and drive system then there are a couple Briggs with "stepped" output shafts for that particular use.

spazatac

Threads
Well, Ive mowed my 1/4 acre 3 times with my honda powered Toro Recycler and it powered through grass I should have cut last week. I like the Personal Pace system, but I guess time will tell how long it lasts and if it's reliable.