Which do you prefer?

VRman

Threads
Depends on how much you have to cut and what kind of terrain you have. For pretty flat terrain and just grass in the 1-4 acres, you could do the cheaper lawn tractor type. If you get into the 5+ acres range, I'd suggest a zero turn mower.

We have 5 acres, lots of trees/bushes, and for years we were using a 18hp MTD garden tractor. It started needing repairs after the first couple of years because it just isn't built for that kind of wear and tear. I went to a kubota zd326 and haven't looked back. I can do my whole yard now in just under 3 hours, where it used to take 6-8 hours with the old tractor. And it uses a lot less fuel too. :thumbsup:

Mine has levers, so I'm not sure how well the joystick type would work.

mamaA

Threads
I've never used a ZTR but have always thought they were super cool. lol I remember when I first saw one (a good 15 years ago?) I was amazed. It was so "futuristic" and made me think of the Jetsons. :wink:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ah, just a little insight guys they're not called sticks and they're not handles or levers. On ZTR's they're called Lap Bars. Most of which are fully adjustable.:smile:

Last edited:

beesnroses32

Threads
Lol! I know 'em when I see 'em but I didn't know they had an official name! I will remember that then. Lap bars it is. :thumbsup:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well I guess you can call them what you want. I suppose different company's call them or have different names but in my Cub Cadet Manual they refer to them as Lap Bars. The one thing I can say is it makes it go. :smile: