When brake is taken off, motor stops

AndresC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I am new to the forum. I searched for a while before posting without any luck.

As stated on the title, I have a RE210 which was working perfectly until its last mow of the season last fall. Yesterday, I started it with no problems but when I took the brake off the motor stopped. I tried a couple more times, but it continued happening.

I suspect it is the seat safety switch, but I am not sure how to bypass it or if there is any other possible reason. Does anyone has experienced this? Any advice on how to troubleshot and fix it?

Thank you,

Born2Mow

Threads
Welcome Aboard !

There's an electrical safety interlock switch on the brake. No experience with that mower, but typically there needs to be a person sitting in the seat before the brake is released. Additionally, these items are usually interlocked with the position of the direction levers and blade clutch. Any error in the sequence will kill the engine in the interest of operator safety.

You'll need an electrical schematics for your machine and a VOM. Most likely one of the switches has simply given up, or needs adjusting. Happens all the time.

AndresC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, you're right on how it works. That's what's happening, while sitting on the machine with the engine on, releasing the brake will stop the motor. It cannot even stroll from the parking space to the lawn.
I'll look for the schematics for the seat switch.
Thanks again.

Born2Mow

Threads
You don't need the schematic just yet.

Simply disconnect the wires from the seat switch and place an Ohm meter (VOM) across the 2 terminals. The meter should go from zero resistance to full resistance as the switch is actuated. I bet it doesn't change.

Change is good ! :giggle:

AndresC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you! I'll post how it went after my troubleshooting

Born2Mow

Threads
If it's not the seat switch, then maybe one of the similar switches on the hand brake or op lever position. A schematic will tell you what the other switches are (electrically) in the same circuit with the seat switch. Those switches would be tested in the same way.

A schematic will not tell you where they are physically located. Sometimes just finding the switch can be 90% of the effort !!

AndresC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, turned out the safety kill switch under the seat was at fault. It resulted in a $14 fix by replacing it.
Thank you for the interest and ideas.

Andres

Born2Mow

Threads
Another satisfied customer ! :cool: