Wheels intermittently lock up

alm4lw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
Q: Any suggestions on what I can do to make the wheels freely turn backwards every time (like they used to)?

I've used the same Lawnboy 10525 for 10+ years and never had a problem before with both wheels freewheeling when I disengaged the drive and pulled the mower backwards UNTIL I replaced transmission parts.

The transmission gears went kaput - loud clanking and loss of oomph. I replaced the grease, bevel & pinion gears, both 65-4710 FRICTION RINGS, a 60-8850 BUSHING that was worn, and a 605255 fabric-like washer.** Moving forward, the transmission works better (power/speed) than before. However, the wheels lock up intermittently when pulling the mower backwards.

The wheels freely move forward and backward - no problem at all - when the mower is off and on a flat, hard floor.

However, when the mower is powered and on the hilly lawn, both wheels do not often freely disengage simultaneously when pulling backwards. Most times, one wheel or the other locks, or sometimes both lock. Every once a while neither locks for maybe 2 feet and then one locks again. The wheel(s) still lock-up sometimes even if I disengage the drive and push the mower forward a foot and then pull it backwards. Again, both could lock up, one could lock up, or both are OK for 1-2 feet until it locks back up. I cannot determine a pattern other than I'm getting more tired dragging the mower backwards.

I followed the parts diagrams as best I could and put things back in the same order. I put the Rocking Key into the axle. Is there supposed to be, or not be, grease on the key &/or friction ring &/or white plastic washer? Does that even matter?

Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated!(y)

**(I had tried to replace the belt, but I didn't have the time so after struggling with everything, I put it back together and left the same old belt on it until the winter when I'll have time to play games with the driveshaft and belt.)

alm4lw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I might have figured it out - I routed the belt incorrectly. After your suggestion, I went back out and pulled off 1 wheel and the belt cover. It seemed there was *juuuuuuuuuuuust* enough friction intermittently on the pulley via the belt to turn the transmission pulley, affecting the key. I found the attached image of the actuator/belt/pulley and saw it as bolt-belt-bolt-belt whereas I had installed it as bolt-belt-belt-bolt. The belt went from a little slack to a lot of slack with the transmission disengaged. I expect this will fix the problem, but will repost if the issue continues.

Attachments

• image.PNG
    image.PNG
    55.5 KB · Views: 10