Export thread

Wheel rubbing

R

rick10s

Front tire is rubbing. Can someone tell me how to adjust it?20230324_155331.jpg20230324_162707.jpg

R

Rivets

To me it looks like you have a problem with one of three things. Wheel bearings or bushings are worn. Wheel axle is worn. Wheel axle is bent. You will need to remove the wheel and check those three things first.

R

rick10s

Will do. Thanks.

R

rick10s

To me it looks like you have a problem with one of three things. Wheel bearings or bushings are worn. Wheel axle is worn. Wheel axle is bent. You will need to remove the wheel and check those three things first.

R

rick10s

Looks like the wheel axle is bent. Can they be straightened?

R

Rivets

Maybe, but won’t be able to even give you a good guess without more info. Different units have different axle designs. Will need model and serial numbers off the unit so I have a better idea of the type of axles on your unit. Second, a couple of pictures of the axle would also help. If you take pictures with your phone you’ll need to resize them smaller to download on this site.

R

rick10s

20230325_122452.jpg
I resized the axle picture to the smallest size, but it still says it too large.

R

Rivets

Maybe, but that is a really big guess, without seeing the axle. I looked up your unit and it looks the axle only comes as a complete assembly. Is your axle assembly cast iron or stamped sheet metal? Are the vertical bushings or bearings in good shape?

R

rick10s

Maybe, but that is a really big guess, without seeing the axle. I looked up your unit and it looks the axle only comes as a complete assembly. Is your axle assembly cast iron or stamped sheet metal? Are the vertical bushings or bearings in good shape?
20230325_130714.jpg

R

rick10s

View attachment 63756

R

Rivets

I can’t see the top of the axle, which goes through the cast iron cross piece? How is the axle help in place? Looks like the vertical bushings might be worn. Can you move the axle in any direction, besides rotating it? If you remove the right side wheel, does it have the same angle as the left side? I wish I was standing next to you to see exactly what you see, that is why I’m asking so many questions.

I

ILENGINE

I can’t see the top of the axle, which goes through the cast iron cross piece? How is the axle help in place? Looks like the vertical bushings might be worn. Can you move the axle in any direction, besides rotating it? If you remove the right side wheel, does it have the same angle as the left side? I wish I was standing next to you to see exactly what you see, that is why I’m asking so many questions.
Looks to me like the wheel spindle shaft is worn a fair amount on the outer bearing area. combine that with a worn bushing and the tire could lean enough to contact the axle.

R

rick10s

The axle is welded at the top of the iron cross piece. The angles are different between the two wheels. I think I will try to cold bend it.

R

Rivets

I agree, but my aged eyes and the angle against the back ground have me secret guessing myself. To the OP, is the axle smooth all the way out, or am I see a ridge about 1/2” from the end? Second, are both of the plastic bushings, going into the wheel worn or perfectly round?

R

rick10s

You
I agree, but my aged eyes and the angle against the back ground have me secret guessing myself. To the OP, is the axle smooth all the way out, or am I see a ridge about 1/2” from the end? Second, are both of the plastic bushings, going into the wheel worn or perfectly round

R

rick10s

Using a 4 foot length of metal pipe I was able to get nearly as much clearance as the other wheel. Got an acre field to cut tomorrow, hoping for the best. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

R

Rivets

I have my doubts that you have a bent axle. To bend a 3/4” axle you would have had to hit something very hard at a high speed.

R

RayMcD

Rick, also look closely at you deck to make sure it is still hung properly, something may be out of place. Cheers, Ray

R

rick10s

Using a 4 foot length of metal pipe I was able to get nearly as much clearance as the other wheel. Got an acre field to cut tomorrow, hoping for the best. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate
I have my doubts that you have a bent axle. To bend a 3/4” axle you would have had to hit something very hard at a high speed.

Rick, also look closely at you deck to make sure it is still hung properly, something may be out of place. Cheers, Ray
Just got back from cutting a large field. Steering was good, cut was good and no rubbing. Thanks to all for your help.