What to look for in a basic mower

Madi

Threads
I want a basic mower to mow my lawn, I don't have a huge lawn, just patches of grass between my gardens, so it doesn't have to be fancy, what would you suggest?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I want a basic mower to mow my lawn, I don't have a huge lawn, just patches of grass between my gardens, so it doesn't have to be fancy, what would you suggest?

Depends on how much $ you want to spend. Sounds like you're looking for a push/self-propelled mower.

Decent ones can be had at Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears, Tractor supply, etc. Look for one that has at LEAST:
  • height adjustment levers. (The ones you unbolt to adjust are hard to get apart over time, and weaken the deck at those places)
  • a display model ON THE FLOOR so you can do the next check
  • a deck that's at least strong enough so you can "wheelie" it with the handlebars without the deck flexing like a flapjack.

I wouldn't buy one from Walmart. Those decks are so thin, they won't last long. If they don't rust, they are so weak they tend to rip the metal if the engine is a higher-vibrating one, and dents easily if you hit a rock.

Those are my suggestions, hope they aren't the only ones! :biggrin:

LandN

Threads
a briggs engine (or better)......21"cut......rear bagger......easy foldable handles(for storage)......good warrantee.......easy handling......and only what you can handle as far as pull starting , but maybe look at electric start,....imo only, bbc....a servicing dealer close by for if you would need assistance/service.......and lastly always compare apples to apples:smile:

Madi

Threads
I am looking to spend under $200. I was not aware that Walmart's were bad. I was looking at theirs, I guess I will look elsewhere.