what to charge

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is a really good point! If you do a good job, but charge too much, the customer might find someone else who can do the job just as well, but for less. Don't make the customer do that.

Yes that was the point I was trying to make. These guys that charge the outrageous prices or by the hour don't always end up with enough work to maintain themselves through the winter months. Running a business fairly and with fair prices can take you a long way.

The thing about the cost of lawn service is that it hasn't gone up that much in past years. and these big lawn companies scream and complain about it all the time.
For years there weren't that many lawn service companies available and It usually ended up being the kid in the neighborhood that was cutting peoples lawns with a push mower. People did fall cleanups with rakes and such.
Today it, the pricing has been kept down because the equipment we use now makes fast work of of cutting and clean up and with all the new companies that have been started and that are starting the competition between lawn companies is driving down prices.

I've said it before and I still believe the way of the larger companies is going away, it's to cheap to start a Lawn service and with the economy the way it is people are not wanting to pay big prices any longer.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
i dont know what would be a good price to do clean up piles of branches and other yard stuff

I have been in the same dilemma this winter myself. I find people that want overgrown shrubs trimmed and then to have the cuttings hauled out to either a brush pile or the street for the city to haul off. We also live in a some what economically depressed area. What I wound up doing was estimating how many man hours it would take and then multiplying that by $25 per hour and giving the customer a flat rate price. The next ones I do if I get any more I am going to try to get $30. If you say anything about dollars per hour most people I dealt with anyway get squendish. Most people want an exact price before you start.....

I was able to pick up one job paying $400 and one paying $450 recently doing this. If you run anything with a motor on it you need to get $25 per hour or more or either stay at the house or you are going to be working really cheap labor wise.