WHat is value of my 5247?

Norswede

Forum Newbie
Threads
I acquired a Lawnboy 5247 19". Very worn wheels, etc make it seem long used, so I've no idea if it's good. The recoil start doesn't work, that's why he got rid of it. I have the rope and spring etc. I don't even know if it ran well when it did. Solid deck, chute, handle, cover, no cracks. little surfacre rust on push bar. WHat's it worth ? Not sure if it's worth the time to fix up, or should part out. Are these easy to rebuild and get parts for? Suggestions?

Raw beginner, so thanks for any help you can give. I'm sort of mechanically inclined, but not a pro. THanks again.

Attachments

• Lawnboy001.jpg
    Lawnboy001.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Lawnboy002.jpg
    Lawnboy002.jpg
    888.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Lawnboy004.jpg
    Lawnboy004.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Lawnboy005.jpg
    Lawnboy005.jpg
    949.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Lawnboy007.jpg
    Lawnboy007.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Lawnboy009.jpg
    Lawnboy009.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 11

2smoked

Threads
If the engine has good compression and the crankshaft doesn’t have a lot of up and down or side to side free play, your mower may not need a rebuild. what you have is a Lawn Boy from around 1979 with an “F” engine...a very reliable and long lasting motor. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, these mowers are not that hard to work on. I have a feeling that it would not take too much effort to get it running again.
l just finished up refurbishing a mower identical to yours but mine was in excellent mechanical shape. From what I could tell from mine, it was probably used only as a trimming mower. The only wear and tear on it was some scratches and patina from being left outside. The cylinder still had the factory cross hatching and the wheels have little wear—a rare find. All it needed were a few common parts and some TLC. I picked it up in non running condition for $35 and spent another $24 for parts and some elbow grease. When I finished it started on the first pull. A little carb tuning and governor adjustment and it runs like a top. Here is a summary of what I did:
cleaned the carb and the gas tank
removed engine, cleaned carbon out of the exhaust ports and replaced the crankshaft oil seals and cleaned off the greasiness
removed the blade and sharpened and balanced it
lubed the recoil starter
replaced the air filter, carb manifold gasket, and exhaust gasket
removed the spark plug, checked the gap and determined that it was still good and put it back in
replaced the gas and primer hoses
removed most of the rust off of the push handle

As far as value, there are a few things that make these mowers attractive to some—they are light weight, simple, easy to start, they are excellent ditch cutters because the two cycle engine will stay lubricated when operated at an angle, the aluminum decks do not rust away. And for guys like me, I love the odor of two cycle exhaust. I also have a phrase I use often, “If your old Lawn Boy doesn‘t start, it’s usually because of a small and easily solved problem.”
I hope you are able to get yours up and going again. These were wonderful, dependable, long lasting mowers that gave good service with reasonable care. And of course, don’t forget to mix you gas and oil correctly.

Attachments

• 13BDEA79-D2E4-4BDB-82CC-604C0D3881B1.jpeg
    13BDEA79-D2E4-4BDB-82CC-604C0D3881B1.jpeg
    921.9 KB · Views: 11
  • CD69ADB5-696E-4F06-B459-0A534596C20F.jpeg
    CD69ADB5-696E-4F06-B459-0A534596C20F.jpeg
    802 KB · Views: 11

2smoked

Threads
Just a few more things to help you—
You can probably find a service manual online in pdf form.
Exploded engine views and parts listing can be found at partstree.com-I also rely on them for some of the commonly replaced parts. Ebay is also a good source but is often pricey. There are a number of other sources online too.
Sometimes you can find discontinued parts by picking up a junked Lawn Boy that is the same or similar to what you are working on. Just keep your eyes open. I’ve had a lot of luck by checking out Craig’s List.
And of course, this forum can be very helpful with questions you may have.

Like you, I am no expert, but I have learned a lot about working on vintage Lawn Boys by just getting my fingernails dirty and learning as I go. Patience and persistence helps too. For me, it’s a fun little hobby that doesn’t break the bank.