What happened to the used mower business?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I get alerts on my facebook when a mower comes up for sale near me. And this year, they've been dirt cheap.

A JD L110 just popped up for $200. The seller says it runs fine. And come with an extra set of blades and a spare tire. It looks fine.

Also listed. and eXmark ztr. It looks in good shape. Say it'll turn over but not start. $200
Cub Cadet. Runs & cuts. $200.
Craftsman rider. Fair condition $75
JD D105, In excellent shape $500. Even the paint on the deck is perfect.

I'm glad I didn't sink a bunch of money into used equipment for winter projects.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I quit restoring mower and handhelds several years ago because the insult offers I was getting for mowers restored with a 90 day warranty. I had one that I put in nearly $400 in new parts and was asking $500 for it. The best offer I got was $125 so I have been parting it out and already close to the $500 in used parts sales from it. Walk behind mowers I was only offered $20.00 for one with a 90 ninety warranty. I just part them out now and send the left overs to the recycling center.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I quit restoring mower and handhelds several years ago because the insult offers I was getting for mowers restored with a 90 day warranty. I had one that I put in nearly $400 in new parts and was asking $500 for it. The best offer I got was $125 so I have been parting it out and already close to the $500 in used parts sales from it. Walk behind mowers I was only offered $20.00 for one with a 90 ninety warranty. I just part them out now and send the left overs to the recycling center.

Oh brother 😳😳. You can't let yourself get that deep into one mower. That's a sure fire no win situation.
And warranties, I only warrantied what I fixed on it. If it only needed a carb, then only the carb was warrantied.

When I first started this small engine stuff, fixing and selling used mowers all I did. And made darn good money most weeks. It wasn't until I started fixing others that I got bogged down in repairs, parts costs and tons of headaches.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That difference as when I go thru one that was for resell I check everything and actually use the mower myself for at least a couple three acre cuttings. I don't just fix the obvious things. Even the mower I repair get a good field test when I am thru as the customer will not tell you about every problem.

Beside most repairs this year are running in the $300 to $700 range. I got one out there that running close $2500 as it getting a short block Kohler engine. Owner changed his oil and forget the most important part of the oil change.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
That difference as when I go thru one that was for resell I check everything and actually use the mower myself for at least a couple three acre cuttings. I don't just fix the obvious things. Even the mower I repair get a good field test when I am thru as the customer will not tell you about every problem.

Beside most repairs this year are running in the $300 to $700 range. I got one out there that running close $2500 as it getting a short block Kohler engine. Owner changed his oil and forget the most important part of the oil change.

I hear ya. You wanna sell quality used equipment. I just wanted to make money. I'd test mow with them all. And let the customer do the same. I had 12 acres. They could mow til their hearts were content. But most only did a couple of swipes and loaded it up.
Not one person ever got mad at me for something that broke right after buying it. If it was on the list I gave them, the repairs were free. If it wasn't on the list, my labor rate was cut in half. Plus they got the parts at my cost.
I didn't screw anyone over.

But like I told them, there's absolutely know way to know when something not so obvious is going to go out. When they bought a rider from me, the belts were good, pulley's & springs were good. It was start right up without hesitation. New oil & filter (if it had a filter). The tires didn't leak. None of spindles howled.

I was just checking some more FB mower ads, a little further away from me. The ones around Little Rock are selling for a fair price. So I guess it's just the country bumpkins giving away their stuff too cheap.

Forest#2

Threads
If they don't ask me about a warranty on a used mower I tell them if the mower starts and runs enough to get unloaded at their destination the warranty has ended.

I tell them if they want a warranty to go buy new and use plastic for the best warranty.

The mowers I sell I have a parts log and repair list they can see and I've used the mower myself for awhile. They can test mow and if they buy, it's theirs.

I'm checking out the people more than they are checking a mower.
I've seen several people that should not attempt using a mower. Not enough upstairs to even air up a tire. These type people get quoted a different price range