What a reasonable price to ask for my mower?

Abrahamm

Threads
I bought a new Craftsmen Model 917.28828 24HP Briggs & Stratton 46" deck automatic transmission, electric start, about four years ago and now has 350 hours on it.

I've maintained it very carefully. I actually replace oil and other stuff a little more often than the manual states.

This mower has NEVER failed me. Never a hiccup of any kind.

However, I'm getting a ZTR and my next door neighbor might buy my Craftsmen. We've not discussed money.

Any idea how much I should ask for it?

It cost $1600 new or in that range. I don't precisely remember...

Suggestions?

Thanks!

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think you would be lucky to get half of that investment back, but I would try. Start at 1000 and see what happens :eek:

Abrahamm

Threads
RobertBrown,

That's helpful!

I read somewhere the life cycle of a consumer B&S engine (like mine) is approximately 500/800 hours at best. With my use of 350 of those hours, I thought I'd used up a lot of that life and so couldn't expect to ask for too much money - even though it's in top shape.

I was thinking $350/500 range was probably the best I could ask for, but now (maybe) I could easily ask 750/800 and not cause my neighbor to cringe.

Thanks!

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
RobertBrown,

That's helpful!

I read somewhere the life cycle of a consumer B&S engine (like mine) is approximately 500/800 hours at best. With my use of 350 of those hours, I thought I'd used up a lot of that life and so couldn't expect to ask for too much money - even though it's in top shape.

I was thinking $350/500 range was probably the best I could ask for, but now (maybe) I could easily ask 750/800 and not cause my neighbor to cringe.

Thanks!
Do you need the money(a rhetorical question)?
If your not in a hurry, I would not worry about cringes, if they don't counter your price, they don't need that mower.
You will soon know if your price is high, that's what craigslist is for.
If your like me, it's more about the space than the cash. If you have to keep it outside until you sell it, you better have it sold in 3-4weeks. The sun and rain will take a toll on your time and the mower

Abrahamm

Threads
I garage keep it.

The dealer I just bought my Toro MX5060 (I'm currently waiting for it to be delivered in the next two hours or so) says I could probably ask in the $700 range.

In his experience, he stated folks start turning away for used mowers once the dollars go past this figure for this kind of mower. He has nothing to gain in his statement - just his opinion.

If I can't quickly sell it for at least $500.00, I'll probably give it to my daughter and her husband.

Abrahamm

Threads
Whoo-Hoo!

I sold it to my next door neighbor for $500.00 and yes, I really needed the room in my garage for my new Toro MX5060 more than the money. (but hey, the $500.00 made up the difference in buying it from a dealer I trust vs. the internet)

It was a good deal for both of us. He really needed my old lawn tractor and knew I very carefully maintained it. Heck, it's in such good shape if I'd had the room I wouldn't have sold it.

Popeye

Threads
Where's the pics on that new mower you promised:confused::confused:

Glad you were able to sell the Craftsman.

Abrahamm

Threads
There are no pictures of the new mower as I haven't the technical skills to do so...

(if it wasn't for my wife's knowledge I wouldn't even have the ability to log on and participate on the forum - as it is, about the only other internet skill I possess is sending and receiving email...yep, I'm a dinosaur)