well it stopped cutting

cutitall

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone,

I know the first thing someone is going to say is "What's the model number?", but I don't have the mower available where I'm at so I'll just describe it:

Craftsman LT1000(?)
42" cut
manual shift (7 speeds)
B&S engine
F-N-R selector on left rear fender, height adjustment and blade engage levers on right rear fender
Left pedal is clutch and brake.
No right pedal.
The basic mower minus the hood and engine is the same as my Troy Bilt TB42.

Anyhow, the issue is that it quit cutting the other day. Normally I can hear the blades spinning on this mower, I mean I hear a distinct whiirrrrr sound, but in this one spot that was just a little thicker than other areas the whirr sound stopped and I looked back, and sure enough the grass wasn't cut for about 20 feet. The mower slowed down some but didn't stop. So apparently, only the blades stopped. I stopped the mower and heard the whirr noise come back, and continued mowing. It did it again when I came back around to that same area. I immediately suspected a slipping belt, but there was ZERO belt squeal or smoke. Ordinarily i would expect LOTS of squeal and smoke if a pulley stopped for that long. So if its not the belt, what could it be?

Please note that even though I describe this area as thicker than the other areas, it is not too much for a mower. The TB42 cuts this area just fine. It's not an overgrown field, just an area that's holds rain water a little better so the grass gets a little greener.

Thx for reading,

cutitall

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Water getting on the belt in effect lubing the belt therefore slippage and not squeal.

Cusser

Threads
I would check the belt's idler pulley on the right side, sometimes my own LT1000 belt slips off there, and I just have to push it back into place with my gloved hands. When dirt/clippings impede that pulley's travel, there will be less tension on it and it can slip.

When things slip out, that isn't good !!!