Walker R21purchase

bkeller500

Threads
I have 1-acre, mostly flat but a long berm on one side. My current ZT will climb the berm with no issues. The problem is traversing the berm sideways or coming down at a slant, It tends to want to break away and sometimes does. My question is would a Walker R21 be better and hold the berm better? I know the ZT loses grip due to the front casters thus breaks away on the slope. The rear wheel on a Walker R21 is also a caster. Would the rear of the Walker be likely to break away as well but in the rear instead of the front? I am hopeful the front tires on a Walker would provide better stability. If not then I need to consider going back to a tractor. Any advice or thoughts will be appreciated.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sloped yards
The problem with zero turn mowers on hills is the fact that the casters on the front is they follow better than they lead. Therefor you are pushing the casters instead of them leading.

For sloped yards, you should consider a steering wheel zero-turn as the steering wheel provides more control when mowing along slopes, compared to lap bar steering. Equipped with Cub Cadet® Synchro-Steer™ Technology, the Ultima ZTS line delivers precision, control and stability on hills up to 20 degrees.If your yard has a notable incline or decline, there are a couple very important factors to consider: traction control and stability. Meeting these needs will allow you to safely negotiate your yard’s hills and slopes.

Last edited:

bkeller500

Threads
Sloped yards
The problem with zero turn mower on hills if the fact that the casters on the front is they follow better than they lead. Therefor you are pushing the casters instead of them leading.

For sloped yards, you should consider a steering wheel zero-turn as the steering wheel provides more control when mowing along slopes, compared to lap bar steering. Equipped with Cub Cadet® Synchro-Steer™ Technology, the Ultima ZTS line delivers precision, control and stability on hills up to 20 degrees.If your yard has a notable incline or decline, there are a couple very important factors to consider: traction control and stability. Meeting these needs will allow you to safely negotiate your yard’s hills and slopes.
hlw49....I appreciate your response and are with you on why. I had looked at the Cub Zt's with steering several years ago but was not convinced the system would hold up ( it was new back then). It makes sense to migrate to a steering wheel but the Cub units I have seen look like they have incorporated a lot of plastic to keep the price point and their mowing decks looked lighter duty to me. I will certainly go look at Cub again in the spring but I am not confident in the brand yet!. John Deere and Simplicity tractors are getting pretty expensive but may be one of my options as well..