Vanguard 18hp

RoyC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just installed a Vanguard 18hp on my Grasshopper 614 tractor. Started up and moved it out of my shop and now will not start. Checked spark and fuel pump operation, works properly. I can put a few drops of gas down the carb and will run for a few seconds and stop! What am I missing?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check to see if the choke is closing properly and that the fuel solenoid is working.

RoyC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check to see if the choke is closing properly and that the fuel solenoid is working.
i swapped the carb out with a known good one, same result. But it would be the same if the fuel solenoid isn’t getting the power like it should. I will check that tomorrow! Thanks

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
i swapped the carb out with a known good one, same result. But it would be the same if the fuel solenoid isn’t getting the power like it should. I will check that tomorrow! Thanks

When you swapped carbs, did have a solenoid on it? Or did you use the same one? If you used the same one, remove it and turn the key to on. It should move the plunger. If it doesn't, then snip the end of the plunger off.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the fuel line of the carb and crank the engine. See if fuel is pumped out. If it is you have a carb problem.

RoyC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pull the fuel line of the carb and crank the engine. See if fuel is pumped out. If it is you have a carb problem.
Thanks to all, fuel pump is working. Seems I have no electricity going to the Solenoid. I plan to trace the wiring to find why it’s not getting power.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Normally connected to a plug on the opposite side of the engine. Grey wire.