Using A Honda HRX Without The Bag ??

PK232

Threads
Can anyone who owns a Honda HRX type mower tell me how the mower works with the bag removed, and what cons might be for doing so? Would it be more apt to bog down in tall grass? I would like a mower with the option of side discharge, but it doesn’t appear that Honda currently makes one based on the web site photos.

dfbrown

Threads
Can anyone who owns a Honda HRX type mower tell me how the mower works with the bag removed, and what cons might be for doing so? Would it be more apt to bog down in tall grass? I would like a mower with the option of side discharge, but it doesn’t appear that Honda currently makes one based on the web site photos.
Hello. I have and have had a lot of Honda lawn mowers. to answer your question. The current hrx216 hrr216 hrn216. they do not make a tradition rear/ left side discharge chute. You basically put it on BAG setting and let it discharge directly out the rear in front of your feet. It works well and doesn’t make a big mess as you might think. Personally I am never going back to the traditional side discharge chute. Have to be strategic on where you blow it end can clump up and leave a big trail of grass and blow it where you don’t want it. My hrc216hxa have a traditional side discharge and I don’t use it. Don’t like it compared to discharg it out the rear like on my hrx217 s and hrn216 s. Try it. Sometimes too if you mulch a lot and it’s too high and your taking too much off to mulch and it leaves a mowhawk in the yard on right side of deck even with good rpm’s clean deck dry lawn and sharp blades it can still do it. Then try rear discharge out the back on your hrx217. Works good. Let me know what you think.

JBtoro

Threads
I have 3 HRX217's; they all do the following. Even with the clip director set on full mulch, some clippings sneak into the chute. With no bag, some of the chute grass simply exits out to the mowed area and I haven't noticed any clumping. However, when I come up to my walkway, I see an good bit of discharge on the concrete. Thus, I always mow with the bag in place. The bag itself is not a hindrance to maneuvering the mower so there is no downside to mowing with it in place that I can see. Because the clip director doesn't block all the grass from entering the chute, there will be a layer of clippings remaining in the chute when you finish mowing. I simply move the director to full bag before I shut down the engine/blade and blow the chute contents into the bag. Then I empty this amount along with what was already in the bag and I am done.

PK232

Threads
Thank you both for taking the time to post your insightful comments. It appears there is a new Honda mower in my future.

NJDan

Threads
I have 3 HRX217's; they all do the following. Even with the clip director set on full mulch, some clippings sneak into the chute. With no bag, some of the chute grass simply exits out to the mowed area and I haven't noticed any clumping. However, when I come up to my walkway, I see an good bit of discharge on the concrete. Thus, I always mow with the bag in place. The bag itself is not a hindrance to maneuvering the mower so there is no downside to mowing with it in place that I can see. Because the clip director doesn't block all the grass from entering the chute, there will be a layer of clippings remaining in the chute when you finish mowing. I simply move the director to full bag before I shut down the engine/blade and blow the chute contents into the bag. Then I empty this amount along with what was already in the bag and I am done.
I have found with mine that some clippings leak into the chute but not always. It might be a matter of the clip director being dirty with dried grass and preventing a good closure. What I do is when I am near done with mowing I pull the clippings out of the chute and onto the grass. If there are a lot of clippings I'll throw them onto the section of grass yet to be done. Then I start mowing again, backing up at first to remow the clippings that fell out onto the grass.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can anyone who owns a Honda HRX type mower tell me how the mower works with the bag removed, and what cons might be for doing so?
You can rear discharge. Meaning rocks and grass will be thrown at your feet and legs. Stupid design, yes.
Would it be more apt to bog down in tall grass?
Honda mowers are notorious for this. Even the new 170 and 200cc engines do this.
I would like a mower with the option of side discharge, but it doesn’t appear that Honda currently makes one based on the web site photos.
Smart man. Keep looking for one if I were you. Side sling is great. Especially in the spring when you scalp. Come to my house and "attempt" to scalp my Tifway Bermada in the spring with a mulch mower LOL. Or even worse my ridiculously thick Zoysia.

Last mower you will ever buy. Great grand kids will be mowing with it.

1656779683613.png