Used commercial walk behind. Good idea or not?

habiem

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have about .3 acres walk-out lot. The back yard grows insanely fast (can easily do 4+ inches per week), sides and front grow at a much more normal pace. The back yard is easily the size of the front and sides combined. I currently have a 21" toro super recycler. Love the mower. The problem is that I spend about 1.5 hours cutting. Since I work full-time, seems like the weekend is the only chance I get to really cut the lawn. Now, with my kids getting into sports, I'm looking for a way to speed up the process. I enjoy cutting, so I want to keep doing it myself. I had the idea of buying a used commercial walk behind, maybe in the 32-36" range. I'm not especially mechanical, so I don't know if there's additional maintenance involved in a commercial mower or not. Anyone have any opinions on if this is a really bad idea or if there's a ton of things I'm not thinking about? My guess was that a used commercial machine could probably stand up to the once or twice a week use pretty well, considering what they're built for. Would love to hear some thoughts. Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would never buy a used commercial unit unless I knew the seller very well. Most of these machines have been used and abused by the landscaper or pro. They are great machines, so why would they be selling them if they are in go shape?

talley2191

Threads
Is that right, .3 acres in 1.5 hours? I have a Toro 21" personal pace used to mow my .75 in an hour before I upgraded to a rider. Perhaps a look at a self propelled mower is all you need.

soulman

Threads
Is that right, .3 acres in 1.5 hours? I have a Toro 21" personal pace used to mow my .75 in an hour before I upgraded to a rider. Perhaps a look at a self propelled mower is all you need.

You mow 3/4 of an acre in one hour with a 21" walk behind? I mow the same size area with an X300 with 38" deck and it takes me 1.5 hours. Must be doing something wrong.

habiem

Forum Newbie
Threads
To clarify, right now I have a Toro 21" Personal Pace Super Recycler. And yes, it really does take about 1.5 hours. Less if the backyard hasn't turned into a jungle, but it seriously grows like crazy back there.

Anyone know anything about the Toro Timemaster? 30" cut sounds pretty good from a residential mower...

Thanks!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
To clarify, right now I have a Toro 21" Personal Pace Super Recycler. And yes, it really does take about 1.5 hours. Less if the backyard hasn't turned into a jungle, but it seriously grows like crazy back there.

Anyone know anything about the Toro Timemaster? 30" cut sounds pretty good from a residential mower...

Thanks!

Before I'd give $1149 for that Toro which is only a 190cc Briggs & Stratton I'd take a look at the CC760 it's a 33" walk behind with I think 12hp Briggs & Stratton for $1199. Wide Area Walk Behind Mowers
As far as additional maintenance on a commercial mower goes there's very little difference between the two.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All the feedback on the time cutters we've sold has been positive. Our landscapers have really liked the finished look it gives them.

pkschb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had a BobCat 36" walk behind for about 12 years (bought it new.) My lawn is about 3/4 acre, and it takes me about 40 minutes to cut, and I bag my clippings.

I love the mower except for one thing - raising and lowering the cutting deck. Although I am mechanically inclined, I get the shop to do this for me - once beginning of summer and again at the end of the summer. So even if the mower is in great shape, this should be taken into consideration.