Upgrading from Koehler Courage 19?

BobT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, all.

Thanks for letting a first-timer ask what will probably be considered a stupid question, but as a teacher, I know if students don't ask, they don't often get their answers.

My elderly mother-in-law has a 2010 ZT4200 Timecutter Toro zero-turn with troublesome Koehler Courage 19 on it. I have worked on that engine for her many times over the last five years and have read that it is not one of their stronger engines. I would like to replace it with a different engine. I've read online of several instances in which people have replaced it with a completely different engine model (including a twin, specifically the HF Predator 22HP) Though I am not a professional engine designer, rebuilder, nor technician, but my father was a technician and I grew up with my hands involved in some repair or other over the years. That said, I am aware of critical issues like PTO shaft size, mounting alignment, muffler and other clearance issues.

So, to sum up, have any of you had any experience with upgrading the engine (including the HF Predator 22HP), and what would be your counsel?

Thanks so much for your time.

BT

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

FWIW, I've never been able to look inside a 22hp predator, so i have no idea of the build quality, the smaller 212's, 308's and 420cc's engines do seem to do well for the price. i wouldn't expect 1,000 hours out of one.

BobT

Forum Newbie
Threads

FWIW, I've never been able to look inside a 22hp predator, so i have no idea of the build quality, the smaller 212's, 308's and 420cc's engines do seem to do well for the price. i wouldn't expect 1,000 hours out of one.
Thank you. :)