Upgraded from Honda to a Scag 21" 7hp (Unicorn Mower)

activelife92

Threads
  • / Upgraded from Honda to a Scag 21" 7hp (Unicorn Mower)
I'm really excited to have taken home a 21" Scag this past week. It will be replacing my 2022 Honda HRX217HYA.

This mower is actually is a bit of a unicorn. According to the deck model, it's technically a 5v. However, it appears that someone at the factory put the wrong CV224 engine on it. It also has the factory Kohler fuel tank, and not the upgraded 1 gal that Scag adds to their 7v. I really like this combination because, as a homeowner who is not using it for commercial, the smaller tank is much more practical, but you get the bigger engine with more torque. As soon as I realized this was the case (confirmed initially by engine stickers, and verified when we found the matching block serial number), I went from tire kicking to buying that day. It seemed like an insane deal on the 7hp variant that I couldn't pass on.

I' m Looking forward to putting this through it's paces. My yard isn't massive, but the Honda was really bogging down and clumping in my Bermuda, even cutting twice a week . I really like the idea of a much more robust, metal mower deck and the full pressure lubrication system the Koehler engine offers. The Honda camshaft recall also left a bad taste in my mouth. It's back at the dealer again for an oil leak. I really wanted to love the Honda, but it seems like they had some manufacturing issues in 2020, plus the new high efficiency, lightweight design may have compromised the longevity of the product. I don't intend on purchasing another 21" in my lifetime.

Curious what everyone else's experiences have been like with this mower? On paper, aside from the weight it seems like the perfect buy-it-for-life lawnmower. Can't wait to mow with it.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_7301.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7301.jpg
    806.7 KB · Views: 8

woodstover

Threads
I'm really excited to have taken home a 21" Scag this past week. It will be replacing my 2022 Honda HRX217HYA.

This mower is actually is a bit of a unicorn. According to the deck model, it's technically a 5v. However, it appears that someone at the factory put the wrong CV224 engine on it. It also has the factory Kohler fuel tank, and not the upgraded 1 gal that Scag adds to their 7v. I really like this combination because, as a homeowner who is not using it for commercial, the smaller tank is much more practical, but you get the bigger engine with more torque. As soon as I realized this was the case (confirmed initially by engine stickers, and verified when we found the matching block serial number), I went from tire kicking to buying that day. It seemed like an insane deal on the 7hp variant that I couldn't pass on.

I' m Looking forward to putting this through it's paces. My yard isn't massive, but the Honda was really bogging down and clumping in my Bermuda, even cutting twice a week . I really like the idea of a much more robust, metal mower deck and the full pressure lubrication system the Koehler engine offers. The Honda camshaft recall also left a bad taste in my mouth. It's back at the dealer again for an oil leak. I really wanted to love the Honda, but it seems like they had some manufacturing issues in 2020, plus the new high efficiency, lightweight design may have compromised the longevity of the product. I don't intend on purchasing another 21" in my lifetime.

Curious what everyone else's experiences have been like with this mower? On paper, aside from the weight it seems like the perfect buy-it-for-life lawnmower. Can't wait to mow with it.
Wow, a full flow OIL filter on a push mower, impressive! Good luck with your rare find.

tcpuccio1

Threads
curious how much you paid for this? I'm finally going to upgrade from my 18 year old Ariens I was looking at a bad boy mower but not many dealers around. Looking at one with the bigger engine. I also need a side discharge that's not included? where I live I don't have any place to dispose of clippings/ recycle the clipping and have limited space in garbage totes our town gives us. thinking/hoping that as we ge closer to end of the season up here in the Northeast they have inventory Clerance sales???