Unknown Part on a B&S 4.5 Quantum

Pepsidrivah

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was taking apart an old leaf vac that was overheating . Found a mouse nest that was causing the problem. I detached a small flange that was pressed against the fly wheel. Can't find the part and was wondering what it was, what its purpose was and is it necessary for the engine to run. I have spent about an hour searching with no luck. Can you folks help? I love the old leaf vac and want to get it in proper order. Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Two things that would be helpful. the full model of the engine, and a picture of the part that you removed.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Only thing close to those flywheels on the quantum's are the ignition coil and flywheel brake/ kill switch

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depending on how old the engine is, it could be the clip which was pressed on a casting fin, to keep the wires from contacting moving parts. As IL stated, numbers and a picture would help us help you.

Pepsidrivah

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your help. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it. I found it with my metal detector and am putting the rig back together in the AM. Verbal description would be a three "fingered" flange that attaches to the block and rubs the same level of the flywheel that the goes thru the magneto. If the magneto is at 1200 then the "fingers" rub at 0900. There are no wires attached to it or near it.
I used to think that can, do. Those that can't, Teach. How wrong I was. Teachers teach because they don't want to show off!(among many more noble reasons, I'm sure).