Uneven cut

Seymop

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a mid 2000's MTD yard machine. Hydrostatic and 42" cut. I changed the blades a month ago because the old ones were worn and the cut was poor, leaving mohawks. I bought a mulching kit, installing the plug in the discharge and mulching blades. I had mulching blades before and they cut fine until dull. Now, the left blade cuts perfect but the right blade still leaves a 6 inch Mohawk center of the spindal on the right side.

The blades are installed correctly. They do not appear to be bent. Both blades line up on center. The belt is new this spring and cut fine with old blades. Blades are sharp. Spindle does have a very small amount of resistance and stops before the left blade when spun freely. I removed spindle and cleaned and greased the bearings. Same result. I dont believe there is enough resistance to not cut the grass. It still spins freely. The deck is not cracked and does not appear to be bent. Deck appears level. Tire pressure good.

Im at a loss. The only thing I can think of is the plug is effecting air flow under the deck but I would think it would effect more that just a 6 inch width in line with the right spindle.

Thanks

bkeller500

Threads
1....make sure the tire pressure is correct. ( probably around 20 in the front and 10-11 in the rear ).......check owners manual
2...make sure the blades are level side to side. ( use a block or pipe nipple as a gauge)........spin the blades and check both edges to ensure a blade is not bent.front
3...make sure the front of the blade is 1/4"-3/8" lower in the front than the rear ( with the blades turned from front to back)
4...take the baffles off and get the deck to cut well before trying to mulch with it. Side discharge to get maximum lift and air flow. If it won't side discharge well first, it won't mulch well.
5...make sure the gauge wheels are 1/2"-3/4" off the ground........don't let the deck ride on the gauge wheels.
6...run at full throttle
7... Set you HOC (height of cut) to a higher notch.....take less than 1/3 of the grass height at a time.
8.... Slow down and see if the cut improves...You don't have to cut at 8mph.......it's about the finish look!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm about to stop asking questions and start asking for pictures or videos....... Most of the time we are mislead like yup my engine is clean. Then later a pic gets posted. Mower looks like a fudge bar.