Two Briggs, Different Decades, Same Intermittent No Crank at Start

TiIngot

Threads
  • / Two Briggs, Different Decades, Same Intermittent No Crank at Start
1.Model 31A607 Type 0741 E1 Code 070326ZE 15.5hp
2.Model 287707 Type 1224 E1 Code 971009ZO 14.5hp
Unit #1 is a salvage mower that I swapped this 15.5hp engine into. Battery is new. Worked well until no crank, just a solenoid click. Swapped in a used solenoid and it started OK for a couple weeks then again just solenoid click, engine turns to compression stroke and stops. Turn fly wheel by hand and again, starter cannot get past next compression stroke. Sat a couple days and again same thing. A week later it turns over as new and starts right up. Next week, again, the starter cannot get past the compression stroke. Three weeks used a different mower. Got on this mower to tow it to the house to change the starter and it again started right up!!

Unit #2 again is a salvage mower with its original motor. Found safety interlock issues that prevented the starter circuit from engaging. Repaired steering issues, deck issues and other miscellaneous items not related to the starter circuit. Test cut two lawns and working great. Then was ready to donate the mower to the local swim club and no crank, only the solenoid clicking. Swapped out the battery with a known good battery and still no crank.

Can both of these have bad starters? I don't know if these engines have the compression relief crank shafts. Since they appear to be intermittent issues I don't think the compression cam is the issue on either. Batteries are OK. Solenoids appear ok. Interlocks in starter circuits appear ok. Ignition switches(??) ok?? That only leaves the starters.

My question is, when these starters go bad, do they go through an intermittent period where sometimes they work just fine and then sometimes, they operate with too little cranking force or no cranking force at all?

I'm baffled.