Export thread

Turf Tiger with problems

B

Bleit

Hi I just purchased a Used Scag Turf Tiger. I bought it from a private seller. The seller advertised the machine as a 2009 with 400 hours total, but the original hour meter went bad and he just replaced it. It showed less than an hour on it. He told me the machine was not used commercially and that he maintained it better than Scag recommendations. The topside of the machine appeared to be in excellent condition and when I Tested it the mower seemed fine but I am not an expert on scag or on zero turns as this is my first zero turn. Problem number 1 after getting it home and putting it in the garage there was a strong smell of gasoline the next morning. I looked under the machine and I noticed an intermittent leak. I have not found the source yet. I can't tell if it's from the tank or the gas line. Hopefully I will find it today when I lift it. Problem number 2 is a leaking right wheel motor. I discovered that when I removed the Right Rear tire. The inside of the wheel, and wheel well was dirty and loaded with oil soaked grass clippings. With the wheel removed there is a slow drip of oil about a drop every few minutes. My guess is a seal is bad. The underside of the machine is very dirty compared to the top. My machine is an STT 61V-27CH with a serial number D7500681. The motor is a Kohler CH740S with a spec CH740-3114. Build date on motor 1-28-2008. Does anyone know how I can tell that this machine has way more hours on it than was advertised.
Thanks Ben

M

Mad Mackie

First off, buyer beware!
2nd, Scag hour meters have been problematic. On a Turf Tiger, the hour meter will clock time only when the PTO in in the on position, other Scag models differ.
Scag hour meters have an internal, non replaceable battery which keeps the LED screen live.
3rd, is there a towing hitch on the rear of the machine? Most ZTRs have a low limit for towing weight, excessive towing weight causes pump/wheel motor/hydraulic system problems.

B

Bleit

Thanks for the reply. I now realize you cant be too trusting anymore. There is no tow hitch on it. Im assuming way more than 400 hours on it. The fuel leak seems to be coming from above and not the line. Is there a way to check the tank from above without removing it. Thanks

M

Mad Mackie

Hi Ben,
I have a feeling that you will need to remove the fuel tank to check out the fuel leakage problem. Single fuel tank with a shutoff valve.
As for the hydraulic leak at or near the R/H wheel motor, clean the area and try to determine exactly where the oil leak is. Find the label on the wheel motor and go to the manufacturers website to find the parts/maintenance manual for your specific item. On Hydro Gear wheel motors, the shaft seal is behind the outer bearing. If the outer bearing has gone bad and is sloppy, the seal on the shaft will leak.
I understand that it is not easy to cleanup the undersides of a machine, but you should do it and at the same time, you will become more familiar with your machine.
You can download an operators/parts manual for your machine from the Scag website if you don't have one. Scag has updated the parts manual for D750000 machines, so download it also and save it as a pdf.
Your model of Turf Tiger will clock time on the hour meter when the key switch is in the on position and or with the engine actually running, depending on which P/N meter was installed as a replacement part.

M

Mad Mackie

My Tiger Cub is on it's third hour meter which is an analog type meter, doesn't need an internal battery to keep it alive.

B

Bleit

I put the mower up in the air and determined that it is the tank leaking. The leak is under the seat. I priced the tank and wheel motor at the local dealer and its a little over 1000 parts only. Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove the tank or labor cost to do it. The pump is a hydro gear hgm 15E 3138. Thanks again for the replies. Ben

B

Bleit

My Tiger Cub is on it's third hour meter which is an analog type meter, doesn't need an internal battery to keep it alive.

The new meter does not have the internal battery. It runs only when motor is running. Thanks Ben