turf tiger spits and sputters

MHENRY1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a turf tiger, 27hp Kawasaki, 1000hours. Whenever I engage the pto, the engine starts running erratically. Almost acting like it wants to cut off.
Then I shift the pto off and it runs fine. where should I look?

plateauman57

Threads
I had a tiger cub that did that and one of the two coils were bad. Good luck with it.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a turf tiger, 27hp Kawasaki, 1000hours. Whenever I engage the pto, the engine starts running erratically. Almost acting like it wants to cut off.
Then I shift the pto off and it runs fine. where should I look?

Does the machine run at full ground speed with the PTO off?
Has the carb on the engine ever been cleaned?
Condition of air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs?
Find the electrical plug for the clutch, disconnect it, you will need a small flat tip screwdriver as the plug has a lock tab on it. Run the machine with the clutch disconnected and pull the PTO switch on and observe what happens. Shut off the PTO switch and shut the machine off.
While the clutch electrical plug is disconnected, with an ohmmeter, check the resistance between the two terminals in the clutch plug and from each to ground. Resistance in the clutch coil should be 2.2-2.6 Ohms corrected and infinity to ground. What corrected means is that the meter can be corrected to zero, already is a zero corrected meter, or touch the meter probes together, record the reading, check the clutch coil resistance and deduct the reading that was obtained from touching the probes together.
Check the voltage across the battery with a voltmeter with the engine running at full throttle, should be 14.1-14.4 VDC with PTO off.
Do these check and get back to us.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited: