Troybilt 21" self propelled mower spark plug, govenor, and cover questions

zeekstern

Threads
  • / Troybilt 21" self propelled mower spark plug, govenor, and cover questions
My wife bought this mower at a yard sale:

Troybilt 21" self propelled mower
AUTO CHOKE
Model: 12AV565Q711
Serial: 1E147K10613
Engine: Honda GCV160LAS3H

Of course, it won't start now, although she swears that it did when she bought it:)) When you pull the rope, nothing happens. No sputter, no nothing. Sounded like it wasn't firing. I feel pretty sure that part of my problem is the carb and have decided to go ahead and get a new one. But before I do, I have some general questions I am hoping someone can help me with.

1. Spark plug - The one in it was a NGK-BPR6ES. I found some doc online that said to use a NGK-BPR6ES only for power washers, and to use a NGK-BPR5ES for everything else. Does anyone know the correct plug to use?

2. There are 2 long wires that attach to the top of the carb. One is hair thin, and the other is thicker. Does the handle that you pull back to start the mower regulate these? When I pull that handle back, nothing moves. I can see the cable moving back when I pull the handle back, but nothing on the carb moves.

3. I don't know what you call this other piece, I think it is something like govenor's arm. When the mower would finally start for a second, I used my hand and pushed that thing back and forth and that would keep the mower running very roughly for a little while, and once I stopped moving it the engine would just stop. What controls that, and is there something that might be wrong with it?

4. How do you get the red cover off? The only screws I see are for that black thing where the rope is at.

I'm no mechanic and am just starting out with this stuff. I have no problem tearing things apart, but have a heck of a time putting stuff back together so that it works:))

Thanks very much

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
2. There are 2 long wires that attach to the top of the carb. One is hair thin, and the other is thicker. Does the handle that you pull back to start the mower regulate these? When I pull that handle back, nothing moves. I can see the cable moving back when I pull the handle back, but nothing on the carb moves.
The lever on the handlebar (probably) just releases the brake on the flywheel, and also controls the engine switch. The engine won't start unless you engage the lever, and should shut down when you release it. The lever (generically called a flywheel brake lever or engine control lever) is not connected to any part of the carburetor.

3. I don't know what you call this other piece, I think it is something like govenor's arm. When the mower would finally start for a second, I used my hand and pushed that thing back and forth and that would keep the mower running very roughly for a little while, and once I stopped moving it the engine would just stop. What controls that, and is there something that might be wrong with it?
This engine (probably) has a fixed throttle, which means this engine starts and runs a wide-open all the time. Do you have an actual throttle lever on the handlebars (FAST/SLOW)? If so, it may have an adjustment (freeplay) in the cable, but more than likely, you poor starting or running is due to a malfunctioning choke control or debris/gunk inside the carburetor due to old/decayed fuel left in the tank too long.
[/QUOTE]

4. How do you get the red cover off? The only screws I see are for that black thing where the rope is at.
Removing the three nuts holding on the recoil starter will then let you pull the entire cover and fuel tank off as a single unit. Depending on the exact model, you may need to remove a gasket around the filler next first. Older models (where the fuel cap is loose) vs. newer models (fuel cap is tethered to the filler neck) are the key difference. You'll also need to disconnect the fuel line from the bottom of the tank.
[/QUOTE]

I'm no mechanic and am just starting out with this stuff. I have no problem tearing things apart, but have a heck of a time putting stuff back together so that it works:))

A factory paper shop manual can help a LOT. On the side of the engine, etched into the block, use a flashlight and find the engine serial number. It's in the form of "GJ??-*1234567" or "GJ???-1234567." You can buy a shop manual from Honda direct on eBay or Amazon:

Amazon.com: Honda GCV135 GCV160 GCV190 GSV190 Engine Service Repair Shop Manual: Patio, Lawn & Garden

zeekstern

Threads
The lever on the handlebar (probably) just releases the brake on the flywheel, and also controls the engine switch. The engine won't start unless you engage the lever, and should shut down when you release it. The lever (generically called a flywheel brake lever or engine control lever) is not connected to any part of the carburetor.

This engine (probably) has a fixed throttle, which means this engine starts and runs a wide-open all the time. Do you have an actual throttle lever on the handlebars (FAST/SLOW)? If so, it may have an adjustment (freeplay) in the cable, but more than likely, you poor starting or running is due to a malfunctioning choke control or debris/gunk inside the carburetor due to old/decayed fuel left in the tank too long.

Removing the three nuts holding on the recoil starter will then let you pull the entire cover and fuel tank off as a single unit. Depending on the exact model, you may need to remove a gasket around the filler next first. Older models (where the fuel cap is loose) vs. newer models (fuel cap is tethered to the filler neck) are the key difference. You'll also need to disconnect the fuel line from the bottom of the tank.
[/QUOTE]

A factory paper shop manual can help a LOT. On the side of the engine, etched into the block, use a flashlight and find the engine serial number. It's in the form of "GJ??-*1234567" or "GJ???-1234567." You can buy a shop manual from Honda direct on eBay or Amazon:

Amazon.com: Honda GCV135 GCV160 GCV190 GSV190 Engine Service Repair Shop Manual: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/QUOTE]

Thanks robert@honda.
I really appreciate you taking the time to answer these dumb questions. I tried several times to get a manual (before joining this forum) by calling Troybilt and Honda, but was not able to. I was not aware of the engine serial number at the time. I will try your suggestion with Amazon and use your link.

I sure am glad you are in this forum. You have been a great help to me, and everyone else for that matter.

Zeek