Troy-Bilt Push Mower Won't Start

kfo43

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy-Bilt push mower with a B&S engine, that won't start. I have replaced the spark plug, oil and filter. I also cleaned the carb very well. The engine starts for a second, then sputters and dies. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks so much for any help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The model number info off the engine would help us to see what your are working on.

kfo43

Forum Newbie
Threads
20140414_180540.jpg20140414_180616.jpg20140414_180622.jpg20140414_180629.jpg

I have images attached. The Model Number is 11A-A26M011

Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most likely problem is the main jet in the bowl nut on the carb, is partially clogged. A wooden toothpick works great for cleaning the jet, then blow out with carb cleaner afterwards. From the top, and from the side of the nut.

kfo43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just to give you a little more background on what I've done already,... This weekend I changed the air filter, but before I put the new one on, I sprayed carb cleaner all over the carb area. I removed every bit of dirt in that area. Then I removed the bowl, and cleaned that with carb cleaner, as well as the bolt that attaches it. I sprayed the heck out of everything in that area. I used about 2/3 of a can doing it. Once I got everything put back in place, the mower was still acting the same. It would start for literally a second, then die. Is that the bowl and nut you are referring to? If so, I think I sprayed it pretty well. I really appreciate any help you give me. :smile:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The model, type, and code off the engine would help me to narrow down what starting system your engine has. Will be located on the medal tab over the muffler, stamped into the blower house above the spark plug, and under the red plastic cover, may be a sticker some place on the blower housing/red plastic cover.

Will actually say model,type,code above the engine info.

kfo43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! I'll look for it tomorrow after work. It's dark on the east coast right now. :smile:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
You gotta get in the carb. Unscew the whole thing off and remove the main jet and check each hole in the main jet. Spraying the carb wont help. You have to get in.

wzambrano

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having the same problem with the same mower. It ran great the first mow of the season, until it ran out of gas. (2 hours of runtime) I add a splash of Lucas fuel cleaner to the first tank to clean things out. It ran the full tank thru just fine. I refilled the gas tank and tried to restart it. sputter sputter sputter. The next day, once it cooled off, it ran perfectly for about 1 minute, then sputter sputter stop.
It's like the thing over heats and dies.