Troy-Bilt push mower two large "pops" and died

lawnmowernut2001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, bought a used mower off a Father/Son selling refurbished ones. The mower worked fine the first time I used it. Runs smooth. All great.

Today, second time I went to use it about 3 weeks later, it ran great for about 2 minutes and then made two large "popping" sounds (perhaps backfiring) and died. It would not start again. It normally started on 1st pull. There was no smoke or other strange noises (like a clank or some other odd noise).

Obviously, I reached out to the Father/Son that sold me the refurb mower, but it is also an "as is" mower.

How do I troubleshoot this? Seems like it is getting no spark.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
lets start with the make and model of the engine as to get a better idea of how the motor is set up. if it's a Briggs and Stratton engine, the model number is usually,
  • On the front of the engine directly above the spark plug
  • On the front of the engine between the OHV symbol and the air cleaner
  • Stamped on the sheet metal above the muffler, either on the right or left side

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
lets start with the make and model of the engine as to get a better idea of how the motor is set up. if it's a Briggs and Stratton engine, the model number is usually,
  • On the front of the engine directly above the spark plug
  • On the front of the engine between the OHV symbol and the air cleaner
  • Stamped on the sheet metal above the muffler, either on the right or left side
But not always. I've got a post in the Briggs forum about this very thing. A 300e in which there is no model or type number in any of those three locations

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have the QR code app on your phone, it will give you all the information you need, plus more. The only high tech app this old fart knows how to use.

Born2Mow

Threads
Did you perhaps wash this mower after the first run ?

Can you tell what brand of engine is on this unit ?

Can you post photos ?