Troy bilt -MTD lawn tractor with battery drain

nbpt100

Threads
Before I dig into this issue later this week, I am putting this out there in case any experienced Techs could suggest some common areas on these riders that have a parasitic drain. I am told the battery always needs a jump after sitting for a week. Is there s common problem or weak area on the electrical system that may deserve a first look?Maybe not.
I do not have the Model number yet, I will post when I have it. Right now I am looking for a generic respnse that does not require part numbers etc. thanks

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing to do is remove the battery, charge it and take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested. If the battery is more than 3 years old could very easily be bad. If it is good, reinstall the battery, start the engine and test it for DCV across the battery terminals running at full speed. You should have 13+ VDC if the charging system is working properly. If both of these steps test good, you will have to go through the pain staking task of testing each component to find one that is drawing voltage when the key switch is in the off position. As someone who has been troubleshooting electrical problems I would make my first test to be unplugging the key switch, to determine if the drain is before or after the switch.

nbpt100

Threads
good ideas. I was told the battery has been replaced several times and was under the impression it is nearly new. Of course I will have to confirm. I was goining to put my multi meter in line with the positive terminal and see if it would measure any current drain with everything off. Then start unplugging stuff and rule out what may or may not be on the path of the current drain. Let the meter tell me where to look.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From the sounds of it I think you know that when you are troubleshooting electrical problems you start with the simple and work toward the hard. You never assume anything someone else tells you until you confirm for yourself by checking each step TWICE. Now that you say the batteries have been been changed multiple times, I would definitely start with the charging system.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the battery capacity. Either with a load tester or a internal resistance tester.

Check battery voltage while cranking. ?.

Check valves are in adjuatment and if has compression release that it is working.

Check charging system with all loads turned on. Above 13.5V?

Use a multimeter to check for parasitic draw with key off. If there is a draw unplug voltage regulator and test again. Connect multi meter in series with battery set on milliamps.