Repairs Troy Bilt Horse 22hp kohler - won't start

rehannon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've used this mower 10 times to cut about 1.5 acres - it was doing fine until last week. Turned the key and nothing happened except voltage metet went to the negative. It had a 150 amp battery. I went to Lowes and got a 230 amp battery. Turned key and nothing. Voltage meter went to the negative just a little. I'm totally unhappy now since the thing is new 40 hours and it won't work. Could it be a fuse, a ignition switch module??? I really don't won't to spend too much money since I just spent $1400. Anyone have the same issue or could you give soem insight. Thanksrehannon@hotmail.com

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Professional Shop Manuals
Page 134 in tractor section is electrical troubleshooting, also by entering your model & serial numbers you can look at your owners manual. Is tractor still under warranty? Have you had any other problems with tractor prior to not starting recently? I would start with fuse and inspect all wiring and wire harness plugs to make sure everything is fastened tight and secure including ignition switch at back of dash panel. Hands on while inspecting, you might find a loose wire or connection. Also whenever you suspect a battery problem take it to an automotive parts store and have them load test battery, they usually don't charge for testing batteries. Let us know if this helps or not.

Quadman

Forum Newbie
Threads
One more thing to try. I also have a Horse, and I found many (Safety) devices on my mower that could very well cause your problem.

I hate it when lawyers help design a tool. I bypassed ALL of the pesky devices on my mower except the, step on brake peddle to start feature. This one is good. Also the no-start when cutting blades engaged is still there. This is also a good idea. The rest are gone, and I love it. I can now use my mower to cut grass.