Export thread

Troy-Bilt 650 Series Mower

B

Brandi

Hello, I just rehabbed a Troy-Bilt 650 series FWD electric start mower and I'm very happy with the results so far. I put in a new battery and bought a used plug in charger off of EBAY. My question is, since there are no lights etc., is there a way I can actually know if the charger is actually doing it's job (i.e actually charging.) Thanks in advance.

R

Rivets

Very simple. Take a voltage reading on the battery, let’s say you get 11.4 VDC. Now attach the charger and plug in. Take a second reading while the charger is plugged in. If you get a reading of 12.6 VDC or higher your charger is working. If the voltage reading is over 14 VDC the charger is over charging l

B

Brandi

Thank you for your fast and informative response. I'll give that a try. The part # was somewhat confusing & I'm hoping I got the right one.

B

Brandi

Regarding my previous post, if I have 12 volts showing on my meter, and the mower starts effortlessly with the pull start, when trying the e-start, it cranks but will not turn the motor over. Thanks in advance.

R

Rivets

You asked how to test the charger, didn’t you? That’s why I posted what I did. Your unit may show 12VDC, but did you check battery voltage while cranking?

B

Brandi

Yes I'm sorry I did that...I think because the battery is so new, I can't really tell if it is charging....12.5 without the charge...11.5 with the charger. 12v before cranking, down to 2-3 while cranking.

R

Rivets

If you are dropping that far either you have a bad battery or your charger is not working.

B

Brandi

Thank you.