Trouble shifting when clutch is engaged

Poulan Pro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I bought a used Poulan Pro Riding lawn mower (model PP11536LMB) and am having some trouble with shifting. It shifts just fine when the engine is off and the clutch is not pressed, but when I engage the clutch, the shifter will not move. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like the belt is not releasing like it should. Make sure it is the right belt. and all the guides are in place

kbowley

Threads
Be sure it has an OEM transmission belt. I believe you are referring to; when the engine is running and you depress the clutch, it is extremely hard or impossible to shift. The reason is that the belt is not fully disengaged and is applying a slight load on the transmission pulley, the belt tensioner is not fully releasing the tension on the belt, or the belt is the incorrect type and size. You can try shifting while pressing the pedal down far enough to release the belt tension but not engaging the brake...shift while rolling if you get my drift. I would check the belt condition and check the condition and tension on the belt with the parking brake engaged. If all is well, I would replace the belt with an OEM Poulan belt. It is a common issue with those types of transmissions as they get old. Check the tensioner pulley on the release arm to ensure the bearing is good. back the brake adjustment of so the brake doesn't engage until the pedal is fully depressed. In summary, remove the mower deck, remove the transmission belt, check tensioner pulley by sinning it with your hand to ensure the bearing is okay, replace the belt from a local Husqvarna dealer and not an Amazon "Special" no-name belt and hopefully it will work correctly. Again, try shifting while the tractor is still rolling, and the pedal is depressed briefly. Let us know how you make out okay. The belt part number is AYP 532419271and can be ordered here. Keep in mind, that is an old tractor with a flathead Briggs and it may simply be a worn transmission.

Last edited:

Poulan Pro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Be sure it has an OEM transmission belt. I believe you are referring to; when the engine is running and you depress the clutch, it is extremely hard or impossible to shift. The reason is that the belt is not fully disengaged and is applying a slight load on the transmission pulley, the belt tensioner is not fully releasing the tension on the belt, or the belt is the incorrect type and size. You can try shifting while pressing the pedal down far enough to release the belt tension but not engaging the brake...shift while rolling if you get my drift. I would check the belt condition and check the condition and tension on the belt with the parking brake engaged. If all is well, I would replace the belt with an OEM Poulan belt. It is a common issue with those types of transmissions as they get old. Check the tensioner pulley on the release arm to ensure the bearing is good. back the brake adjustment of so the brake doesn't engage until the pedal is fully depressed. In summary, remove the mower deck, remove the transmission belt, check tensioner pulley by sinning it with your hand to ensure the bearing is okay, replace the belt from a local Husqvarna dealer and not an Amazon "Special" no-name belt and hopefully it will work correctly. Again, try shifting while the tractor is still rolling, and the pedal is depressed briefly. Let us know how you make out okay. The belt part number is AYP 532419271and can be ordered here. Keep in mind, that is an old tractor with a flathead Briggs and it may simply be a worn transmission.
Thank you for the reply, I checked under my lawn mower and all the pulleys seem to spin fine except for the front pulley (the pulley connected to the pulley for the mower part). One more thing, I don't know much about lawn mower repair, should the transmission belt be tight? I looked under my lawn mower and it felt loose, but I'm not sure if it should be.

Last edited:

kbowley

Threads
Thank you for the reply, I checked under my lawn mower and all the pulleys seem to spin fine except for the front pulley (the pulley connected to the pulley for the mower part). One more thing, I don't know much about lawn mower repair, should the transmission belt be tight? I looked under my lawn mower and it felt loose, but I'm not sure if it should be.
If you have the parking brake engaged, yes, the belt should be loose. The OEM belt is designed to allow some slip, rather, it is not "grabby" to help prevent your issue. I can't be sure that will cure the issue, it's a maybe. Try this, put the transmission in high gear and very gently begin releasing the clutch...will it slip a bit, or does it instantly grab and go?

Last edited:

Poulan Pro

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you have the parking brake engaged, yes, the belt should be loose. The OEM belt is designed to allow some slip, rather, it is not "grabby" to help prevent your issue. I can't be sure that will cure the issue, it's a maybe. Try this, put the transmission in high gear and very gently begin releasing the clutch...will it slip a bit, or does it instantly grab and go?
I managed to get it to a higher gear, and it instantly grabs, it does a small wheelie when you release the clutch. Before I buy a new belt, is there anything I could try with my current belt? Tighten or loosen it? Thanks.

kbowley

Threads
In short, no. Can you slip the clutch at all if you VERY slowly release the clutch? Keep in mind, I can't guarantee a new oem belt will cure it. However, it would be my first choice if a customer came in with your issue after checking everything else. It very well may be a tired transmission, however, being that you can shift it easily with the engine off I would try a new belt to cure it. I had an old Wheel Horse 212-5 come in with the same issue this spring and the OEM belt made things MUCH better. I have had others where it did not correct it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1722778572598.png
Basically your belt is trying move even when the clutch is depress and the engine is running.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
All you need is a 1/2" x 88-1/4" belt. Many places are pushing the 1/2" x 88" but that is a little short and can cause problems.

The Rotary 8516 (1/2 x 88-3/8") which is 1/8" longer will work.

Actually the 144200 is supposed to be 88-1/4" long but suppliers will try to sub the 88" belt.

1722784598684.png