Trouble cleaning/restoring an old carb

rigoletto

Threads
People,

I have an edger, with B&S engine Model 80202, TYPE 1830-01, CODE 87013103. 3 HP. I am not able to attach a picture as I am computer illiterate. Thats why I posted as link below to the diagram, carb is 4th page down on the link. The carb has a plastic tube with a very fine filter screen at the bottom. How can one clean this tube? I believe this is the main problem- that the tube is plugged and cant suck up the gas.

PS: The gas was old/cruddy. I drained the tank and even cleaned the tank with ethanol/acetone mix. But I am convinced the plastic tube is the problem. Also, engine runs for a few seconds with starter fluid.

The link below shows the carb, 4th page down.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/briggs/80200-ms4271-0485.pdf

Thanks, people.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the tank for rust. If it has flakey rust the Houston we have a problem.
The tubes are prone to cracking and are readily available.
Did you replace the fuel pump diaphragm?

Forest#2

Threads
Here is a link to view some Briggs Pulsa jet carbs and tips for repairing.
https://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/

One of the holes under the pump diaphragm connects to the pickup tube.
If you have air supply you can try blowing air through the pump hole or up through the screen.
The other option is to punch a hole in the screen and run a cleanout wire up the tube, then use a piece of nylon stocking or I've used gas filter socks, type used on in tank fuel pumps. I just used a piece of solid copper wire to tie the filter sock in place.
That carb was probably a 296784 or 393976 if a 2 quart tank or a 296785 if a one quart tank.

Those type were also used on lots of Briggs 3.5 hp vertical push lawn mower engines.
Since it's an edger you could get by with the 1 quart tank and carb.
Those tanks sometimes clean up really good because the were coated well inside.

I've found the pickup tube clogged hard usually within 1-2 inchs of the pickup screen where old gas has evaporated and left crud behind in the tube.

It's best to always install a new pump diaphragm which is readily available and can usually be found in a bulk package of 5 or so dirt cheap.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with Hammer and Forest, diaphragm needs replacing. Plus, I always recommend replacing the carb to tank gasket, as it ie not uncommon for the tank to warp on a 37 year old engine and the this seal will be broken and the pump will not work.