Trimmer recommendation

Dragonslayr

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have 5 acres and a pond that is about 1/2 acre. We weedeat around the pond as well.

Current trimmmer - Old stihl fs70
They used to make a head that took plastic blades as well as string which worked nicely for us. However, the head is not longer available. So, I tried a star blade recently (3 cutting edges). Quickly finding out they suck on grass. Though they do get some even bigger weeds 3/4" thick down.

Soo,,, thinking to get a new echo trimmer and leave the blade on the stihl. However, the stihl is a 28 cc and am a bit concerned about getting a echo 225 as it is 21.5 cc. And the echo may be our only trimmer after a while...
Possibly have to go up to the 2620t or so.

Any thoughts on the whole mess?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have an Echo model SRM-266 and always recommend this model if you have the litt extra $$$. When my fathe-in-law past away I used it to clear three years of growth between his pine and maple trees. They were alternated plated in three rows, each row 250 feet long, so I could use a mower between the trees instead of trimming. First time I started this project it took 5 hours to make the first pass through everything. I was using .105 line and this unit never missed a beat, even though what I did would be considered by some abuse. I worked it hard and even worn out a bump head. That was six years ago and the unit is still going strong even though I now only use it for about any hour every other week. I use nonethonal fuel and the last use of the year I fill with RedArmor mix and leave it in for winter storage. Only maintenance I’ve have to do is air filter and spark plug. Hope this helps.

SirMowzalot

Threads
Honestly? I have an Echo SRM-225 and have never liked the thing. I know the pros swear by the brand, but I bought a Makita 36v a few years ago and have never been happier. All I needed to do was spend $20 on a new head to accommodate thicker line and it's perfect. That being said I just bought a tune-up kit for the SRM-225. When I get around to installing it I'll throw some wheels on it and use it for edging. I have the Makita trimmer, as well as their blower, and love them both. Ever since I dumped Dewalt for Makita I've been nothing but happy with every new tool, and they all use the same batteries.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm still quite pleased with my Shindaiwa T-235, that solid shaft drive really makes a difference. It can cut 20 inch swath.
But I don't let it out that far. Got it new in 2015. Solid performer. 2 stage air filter.

Plus it has a full wrap around protection under the gas tank. The Echo 225 only has 1/2 the way.