Export thread

trimmer pull string will not retract

C

cadman33619

I have a ryobi 4 cycle trimmer... yesterday i tried to start it and the pull string would not budge.
(i shouldn't have said 'retract' in the subject line)

i removed the spark plug (which was very dirty... and had oil on it) then tried the pull string again.... this time it moved in and out with no problem. but when i put the spark plug back in, the string would not move again.

has anyone seen this issue?

thanks

Fish

Fish

Yes, you cannot compress fluids, so clean it out and dry it out first. Clean replace air filter, look in muffler for blockage and crud, etc.

C

cadman33619

how would i clean it out? will i need to open the engine up to access that piston and clean that way?

smallenginemechanic

smallenginemechanic

how would i clean it out? will i need to open the engine up to access that piston and clean that way?

With the plug our blow compressed air in the plug hole, also pull the engine over and let the excess fluid fly out. If that doesn't work check to see if you have the right plug?

C

cadman33619

i verified that i do have the correct plug (came with the trimmer and i looked it up)

have not tried the compressed air yet. will try that now that i have a can of air.

i've taken it apart to expose the valves and lower part of the piston (drained all the oil)... but i dont see a way to access the combustion chamber in order to clean it out.