Trimmer problems

smokyrabbit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi - I purchased a SRM230 Echo trimmer 18 years ago and took great care of it. It has a 22.8 cc engine and worked great for all these years. Just about a month ago I was out doing some trimming and the unit started to act up. It starts right up and idles great but as you press to accelerate, the engine starts to rev up to about 1/2 throttle, then as you continue to press the trigger the unit looses all its power. Does not stall but looses power, no way you could trim any length of grass with it.
As a result I took the unit apart and cleaned the spark resistor screen. I was using a fresh fuel mixture but mixed up some new fuel. I changed out all of the lines and put on a new fuel filter. I put in a new spark plug and gaped it to .26. I also changed the air filter. But nothing worked. Out of desperation I ordered a new carb for it and installed it, but it still was the same.
Don't get me wrong, this unit owes me nothing. Its more about finding out what is wrong with it, like solving a puzzle.
Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance - Miller

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the crankcase screws and see if they are tight. I have seen a few echos with loose screws causing loss of primary compression and poor running.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
After 18 years I suspect the crankshaft oil seals have dried out causing an air leak. Fix would be to replace those seals, if you’re so inclined to spend the money and time. Don’t recommend taking to a shop, would cost to much for them to do it.

smokyrabbit

Forum Newbie
Threads
After 18 years I suspect the crankshaft oil seals have dried out causing an air leak. Fix would be to replace those seals, if you’re so inclined to spend the money and time. Don’t recommend taking to a shop, would cost to much for them to do it.
Thank you so much. I believe you are right on. However I do not believe I have the expertise to fix that problem. I might tinker with it over the next winter. I have since purchased a new one and hope it lasts for 18 years.
Thanks again - Miller