Transmission not pulling the mower when engaged

mikahdad14

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Folks--- I have a Sears Craftsman 6.75 hp walk behind mower with front wheel drive. Model number = 917.378491. The mowing season has started in eastern NC and
I got the mower ready and started it up 1st pull and proceeded to start mowing my front yard. I had the transmission engaged but it was not functioning normally. I raised the front of the
mower with transmission engaged and it would turn the wheels but when I put back on the ground it was like manual mowing!! The front wheels were basically smooth so I replaced them
with ones with good tread. I also replaced the transmission drive spring and ultimately the drive belt. Still not functioning normally. The mower has some years on it but it looks/works like new except
the transmission..I'm thinking it is the transmission that has gone bad but don't really know how to diagnose if that IS the problem or could it be something else. I'm not even sure I can get the
transmission for this unit if it is the problem. Any advice really appreciated!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If all the drive parts are working, the wheels should make black marks if you hold the mower back. Old pulleys and aftermarket belts should be changed with OEM parts.

slomo