Repairs Transmission fan replacement

Yungaburra

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi from Australia
I have a Toro Wheelhorse 244-H. The other day when I looked under the seat to check the transmission oil I noticed that all the blades have fallen of the fan. Incredible! I've only had it 21 years!
I got a replacement from my dealer but I notice in the manual it says that replacement involves " a significant amount of disassembly" and recommends the dealer do it. My dealer is 50 miles away and charges like a wounded bull so I would rather do it myself. The parts list just shows a bolt going down through the fan and pulley. Has anyone replaced one of these and can tell me why Toro think it should be done by the dealer?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There were two types of fan setups used on this Wheelhorse. Post the model number of the unit. Majority use a fan that is easy to replace, but a few need a dealers help.

Yungaburra

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Rivets
Thanks for the prompt reply
The model number of the Toro 244-H mower is 2214 OE 01 Serial Number 1022250

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This one you can replace yourself. Soak that bolt holding the fan on with a penetrating oil for a couple of days to make it easier. Once you get the old one off, bolt the new one on.

Yungaburra

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Rivet

Good news. Thanks for the info.

Does that bolt hold the drive pulley on? What will happen when I take it off?

I guess I mean should I take the drive belt off.

Thanks again. Great forum!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a spacer between the fan and the pulley. No need to remove the drive belt.