Export thread

transmission bypass rod

D

Darrell3958

the transmission bypass rod does not seem to be working at all. pull it out it rolls, push it in it rolls. I need help with this one

I

ILENGINE

I would say that either the bypass rod isn't releasing or you have much bigger issues.

D

Darrell3958

I would say that either the bypass rod isn't releasing or you have much bigger issues.
I took out the battery and can feel the rod going back and forth. It feels it is hitting a notch when it does this

StarTech

StarTech

Without the model number it kinda hard which transaxle you have.

You might have with keyed axles and you just replace a wheel. But most late model Cubs do have Double D axles.

D

Darrell3958

Without the model number it kinda hard which transaxle you have.

You might have with keyed axles and you just replace a wheel. But most late model Cubs do have Double D axles.
it is a 2015 model 13WPA1CT009

StarTech

StarTech

XT1-LT46 (13WPA1CT009) appears to use the Tuff Torq K46DM series Hydro with Double D axles so my thought is out the window.

Try raising the rear end and see if both wheel will spin the same direction at the same time.

D

Darrell3958

XT1-LT46 (13WPA1CT009) appears to use the Tuff Torq K46DM series Hydro with Double D axles so my thought is out the window.

Try raising the rear end and see if both wheel will spin the same direction at the same time.
will try tomorrow.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

will try tomorrow.

So are you saying when you start the engine, and engage the forward/reverse pedal or handle, the mower does not move? Or is just the bypass rod in either position (in or out) and the riding mower rolls. Big difference.

D

Darrell3958

So are you saying when you start the engine, and engage the forward/reverse pedal or handle, the mower does not move? Or is just the bypass rod in either position (in or out) and the riding mower rolls. Big difference.
yes when I start it and push either forward or reverse nothing. Also the bypass rod in either position the mower rolls

R

Richard C

Try changing the transmission fluid if that doesn’t work you probably have faulty hydraulic pumps
had a similar problem and had to open up transmission and found broken springs in pump replaced them and all worked ok

S

STEVES

broken drive belt, did you pull wheel & lose axle key, trans axle needs rebuild.

StarTech

StarTech

broken drive belt, did you pull wheel & lose axle key, trans axle needs rebuild.
By just looking at the IPL you would know it has Double "D" ended axle so it would be impossible to lose an axle key.

Then question becomes how freely it rolls. Does it rolls as freely as it the bypass it pulled or offer considerable resistance. If considerable resistance then could be a broken or simply a belt that came off a pulley.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

If it rolls easily with the bypass rod in or out, follow the bypass rod up underneath to where the lever is on the transaxle. Make sure it is not hanging up and has free travel all the way in and out. If rod is fully engaging and disengaging, then most likely changing the oil will not repair it. As stated above, double check the drive belt and pulleys. Also check the pulley on top of transaxle and make sure it is firm and fixed and not spinning freely. If all that checks out, then probably it is catastrophic and transaxle needs major repair or replacement.

G

Gord Baker

Be sure the other end of the rod is connected.

D

davis2

By just looking at the IPL you would know it has Double "D" ended axle so it would be impossible to lose an axle key.

Then question becomes how freely it rolls. Does it rolls as freely as it the bypass it pulled or offer considerable resistance. If considerable resistance then could be a broken or simply a belt that came off a pulley.
My thoughts changed at "Double D"...

R

Richard C

Try changing the transmission fluid if that doesn’t work you probably have faulty hydraulic pumps
had a similar problem and had to open up transmission and found broken springs in pump replaced them and all worked ok

D

Darrell3958

how do I change the fluid in it.....I know nothing about this so anything you could tell me would be great. Do you know of any videos where I can watch how they do it? thanks so much

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

how do I change the fluid in it.....I know nothing about this so anything you could tell me would be great. Do you know of any videos where I can watch how they do it? thanks so much

If you are talking about a transaxle on a riding mower, there are videos and information online. You need to locate the breather tube or filler cap and extract fluid with a pump (cannot typically get all of it this way.) Or, completely remove transaxle unit from mower and remove cap and turn it upside down.

J

jcworks

I had a similar issue on Toro ZTR but the rod was not disengaging the transmission. That is, I could not push the mower. After talking with the manufacturer of the transaxle I found that if I pushed it manually very hard it would disengage. My issue was that over time the rod had bent out of shape just a tiny bit and wouldn't push forward enough. I bent it back (just a little) to "lengthen" the rod. Then it worked.