Toro Z Master Dies under load

MikeyM530

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all!
I have a Toro Z Master Z253 (Model #74225). It runs and cuts well, until it doesn't. lol Always starts up fine, starts cutting great, but has started recently to putter and die randomly. Could happen 2 minutes into cutting, could happen 30 minutes into cutting. But once it happens, it keeps happening until I let the mower sit and cool down. after it dies it fires right up again and I can cut for 20-30seconds then it happens again. if I don't engage the blades I can run it at 3/4 speed and its fine for a couple minutes before sputtering and dieing. full throttle or blades engaged it dies much quicker. it also sometimes doesn't want to engage the pto. that can be fixed by simply lowering the throttle and it will engage, but that happens about 25% of the time. wasn't sure if they were related!
Thanks in advance!
Michael

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fill the tank with fuel and start cutting. When it starts to loose power open the gas cap. If it regains power you have found your problem, the caps vent is plugged. Solution, replace the cap. What is happening is as the fuel is leaving the tank a vacuum is occurring in the tank not allowing the fuel to continue to flow. The less fuel you have in the tank the longer it takes to create the vacuum.