Toro TimeMaster (30") makes an odd noise when blades are engaged

cheath04

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro TimeMaster (30") makes an odd noise when blades are engaged
Below is a link to a video I made of the noise. At about the 3-4 second mark when I engage the blades is when the noise starts. I'm not talking about the squeal the belt makes when engaging the blades. There is almost a knocking noise. Would a loose belt make this noise? Thanks in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those units have blades which are timed and they may be hitting each other if the belt came loose and the belt jumped. Tip the mower on it’s side, carb up, and check to see if the blades come close to each other. They should form a T, 90 degrees off if correct.

cheath04

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not the blades. They are in a T.

Any other thoughts/ideas before I have to resort to taking it in?

Thanks.

gotomow

Threads
Have you taken the belt cover off? Could be idler pulley. Lots of videos online about the Timemaster

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As gotomow stated, next step is to remove the belt cover and check the timing belt and pulleys. If they are all in good condition then check the drive belt and pulley. To do this, put handle in the vertical position, tip the mower on its side, carb up, and inspect.

nrbq999

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you ever figure out the noise? I have a similar noise, went ahead and changed out 2 idler pulleys, 2 belts (not the timing belt) and one spindle which I thought had a little play. still making noise. I am the master of hunt and peck

Jonathan1084

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey folks, just checking if anyone was able to solve this, i have the exact same issue :-(

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked the blades? Are they 90 degrees apart? Have you remover the cover and checked the belt and timing pulleys?checked

Jonathan1084

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked the blades? Are they 90 degrees apart? Have you remover the cover and checked the belt and timing pulleys?checked
Thank you for the reply Rivets, im almost 100% certain blades are perpendicular. I will check again because you never know. I will take a few photos and videos. I promise to paypal you for a six pack of your favorite "soda" for the help pal.

Will check when i get home from work.

Thanks and take care!

-Jonathan

slinger2

Threads
Sounds like a bearing failure to me. Remove the blade drive belt and spin the blades by hand to see if you feel any roughness. Spin the pulleys by hand to see if there is any slop, wobble or roughness in them as well. If the spindle bearings are bad, they can usually be replaced without replacing the entire assembly, as long as the housing is intact and the the spindle shafts are not gouged /worn. Not a hard job and bearings are only around $9 apiece (2 per spindle). Good luck!