Toro Timecutter with Kawasaki FR691v

Joeker425

Forum Newbie
Threads
brand new Kawasaki FR691V about 5 hours. fuel in crankcase. runs fine until i engage the deck, cannot mow even with the deck at 3" or thick grass. told it was carburetor. I'm now on the 3rd carburetor, still happening, 3rd carb i couldnt engage the deck without it shutting off. the fuel doesn't enter the crankcase unless the mower is running. 3 different dealers are stumped! kawasaki tells me to go through dealer. toro tells me to go through dealer, yet they tell me its not under warranty. HELP!

Skippydiesel

Threads
Okay take a deep breath, this may take some time.

The first thing is to be able to describe the "symptoms" so that we can have a chance at a diagnosis and remedy. This means you must try to get your terminology right - if you dont have the knowledge/background, to enable you to do this, get help from someone who does .

1. What mower (make & model) is the engine powering?
2. The K FR691V is a four stroke - fuel should never enter the crankcase, unless you have a carburettor float valve malfunction .
3. If the engine "runs fine" without engaging the cutter deck, does the mower move, without "shutting off", as you would expect?
4. Is this a new engine in an older mower? or is the whole shebang 5 operating hour old? and how old (month/ years) is the mower?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If this is a new unit, stop trying to fix it yourself. It’s under warranty and you need to find a new Toro dealer. They can do Kawasaki warranty on their units. Personally I can’t believe that three dealers are stumped and Toro said it is not covered under warranty. I’ve done Toro warranty work for over 40 years and either you are not telling us everything or your Toro dealers are out to lunch. If unit shuts off when blades are engaged, probably a safety switch problem. If unit stumbles and runs poorly when blades are engaged, probably a fuel problem. This is not rocket science and any mechanic worth a beer should be able to solve the problem.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
brand new Kawasaki FR691V about 5 hours. fuel in crankcase. runs fine until i engage the deck, cannot mow even with the deck at 3" or thick grass. told it was carburetor. I'm now on the 3rd carburetor, still happening, 3rd carb i couldnt engage the deck without it shutting off. the fuel doesn't enter the crankcase unless the mower is running. 3 different dealers are stumped! kawasaki tells me to go through dealer. toro tells me to go through dealer, yet they tell me its not under warranty. HELP!
That points directly to what Star Tech said: "If the engine has a vacuum operated fuel (pump) it is also a possible path for (fuel) to enter the engine's crankcase."