Toro Timecutter SS 3200 Riding Mower will not start

shadesofidaho

Threads
Well I have been limping the battery along with trickle charger to get me past winter. Battery would hold a charge through two starts a week apart then need to be charged again. I thought well maybe battery is not bad even though it is older. forgot to check the date on it. Went out to mow this afternoon and it went Clickity clickity saying time to charge me. I put the trickle charger on and it was stating by charger lights blinking green battery was 80% charged. I waited several hours and tried again , after removing trickle charger, and nothing. No click just nothing. Silence not even crickets. Do you think I just did not wait long enough for it to recharge? Where is my click? did I lose my solenoid ?? starter ?? I want to trouble shoot as much as possible before I make the 90 mile round trip to get parts. I did locate the fuses but when I pulled them, the flat blade type, I am clueless how to tell if they have gone bad. Hubby died almost 4 years ago now. I found several boxes of fuses but no 25 and 30 flat blade of the right size. If I sound like I know what I am doing NOPE I am clueless 70 YO woman. I do take direction well but ask far too many questions. If any one still here that walked me through my first oil change I am the one afraid my engine would blow up on me. Thanks for thoughts. I will try starting it again in the morning when I get up and report back.Just wanted to put this much out there in case there are other things I should try first. I live in the middle of nowhere and have no one I can ask for help. Whine............

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
My condolences ma'am.

if you have a autoparts store close to you, they can test the battery for you.
A battery needs at least 12.2-5 volts for things to function properly...
Or if you have a voltage meter, set it to DC volts, positive to positive , negative to negative from meter to battery, turn the key on, look at the reading,now, turn the key and hold it to the start position, if the battery voltage drops toless than 12, bad battery..
It is also possible for there to be something on the mower draining the battery too. Called parasitic load, but I have never worked on a mower where that was the case.

Last edited:

shadesofidaho

Threads
Thank you. I am heading out there right now to see what will happen. Auto parts store is a 44 mile round trip so about half as far to go. I am first going to go into the garage and look for a voltage meter. I am sure he had one I remember his testing things. Will see if I can find it and make it work. Thanks again.

Adding: I have power back. It did not start and I only get one chance to try because the battery drains down that fast so I am sure I need a new battery and will look into getting one. I put the trickle charger back on and will give it another try later this afternoon or evening when it is warm and once started I can take off mowing. Lawn is far too wet in the mornings to mow and mower never started well when it is cold out even with a little extra choke handle action and thumb assist on the back of the linkage?? the choke is supposed to be moving but does not move it. Spring worn out?? Reading on the volt meter was 12. WEEEE A new experience for me to find and use that thing.

I am also going to look into the OEM parts for oil filter/air filter/ gas filter and buy more oil so I am ready to do an oil change when it is time. Avoiding a town run today is good. Fridays every one is on our little two lane highway in a hurry to get up here to have FUN!!!

Thanks again. So happy to at least not have it totally sitting there dead. And this morning after all night charge it was a solid green light on the trickle charger.

Last edited:

shadesofidaho

Threads
I bought the new battery Tuesday. The mechanic down there also showed me where to put a little W-D 40 on the linkage? spots to get the choke lever to work again. All is good. Mower started right up. The choke lever worked again without my having to push it forward with my thumb. I mowed the lawns. All is good. Another problem solved. Thanks so much for the help.