Toro Recycler Won't Start

PEICan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all.
I have a Toro Recycler push mower with a 7.25hp Briggs and Stratton engine. It won't start and it has me stumped.
Compression 60psi
Spark is good.
Fuel is new and is getting to the carburetor. (no obstructions in fuel line or in the tank itself)
New plug.
New carburetor.
Shear pin checked and is ok.
Blade and deck are clean and blade turns as it should.
It will attempt to start if gas is sprayed directly into the carb but it won't stay started.
It's not a gas cap issue. It won't start without a gas cap and the tank will drain fully through the fuel line with the cap on.
Last time it was working it would start and run but only at a low idle speed.
Choke is closed when cold and it moved freely.
Governor spring is moving freely.

Is there something I am missing?
Will I need to take the whole thing apart and check the cylinder?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Engines need these things to start,
Fuel, Spark (at the right time) and compression
Still sounds like a fuel issue, since you can spray gas directly in carb. I wonder if you have a cracked intake manifold, i had a mower with the same symptoms awhile back, not starting, would start with gas directly in the carb then die.
Post the engine model numbers, they should be stamped above the spark plug into the metal housing or above the muffler, if it's over head valve, on the valve cover.

RABJR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sixty [60] PSI compression seems low. Even Honda motors with the compression release put out about 70-75 PSI at 600 RPM. Perhaps a leakdown test is in order; performing one would certainly tell you the overall health of the motor. More information about the motor would be helpful. Is it an OHV motor?

PEICan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I haven't had a chance to get to it in the last couple of days. I will post more details about the engine soonest.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
I had the same problem with mine.
I shot it full of carb cleaner, let it sit a few minutes and started it. Repeat a couple times and then let it sit a couple days with cleaner in it. After that, it ran all summer.