Toro Recycler with rear wheel plastic gears

nbpt100

Threads
I replaced the rear drive wheels on my 20334 Toro Recycler because the tread was bald. The old wheels had steel gears (115-4695). The new replacement part has a composite material for the gear and was worn out in 3 uses. It is very soft compared to the steel gears. The new Part number is 138-3216. I have been doing some research and people are not getting much life out of these newer wheels with the soft gear. Someone metioned a kit you you can get that has the steel gear. He was not very clear or descriptive. Can anyone comment on this. Is this a real up grade or just some hack someone did in their shop.? I would like to get a pair of wheels with steel gears. I have been looking and they seem non existent. I did look at the alignment and it could be a bit better but it is not bad. I had no issues with steels gears. Help appreciated. Thanks.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just noticed a new rear transmission for my 20332, case looks like a reinforced black plastic now.

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the serial number for your 20334. Depending on the year of manufacture, there where different wheel assemblies used, with different wheel gears and drive gears.

nbpt100

Threads
I figured it out. Thanks. I was able to up grade to the steel gears. Had to change the pinion gear to make it happen but worth it.

MikenPSJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
LOL I had the opposite problem on my Toro 20339 with the only option being the steel gears... now trying to figure out how to reverse the traction so I can use the mower...